Aviemore Yard

Location type

Sidings

Name and dates

Aviemore Yard (1943-1962)

Description

A small marshalling yard was laid out at Aviemore in the Second World War to allow southbound trains from the Forres [2nd] and Inverness routes to be sorted into Glasgow and Edinburgh portions and merged. It was an expansion of an existing set of sidings.

The yard was on the west side of the line south of the north signal box. Sidings were approached from the north.

The yard closed with the opening of Perth New Yard in 1962, which then took over the sorting of the trains.

The site is partly now a car park.

Tags

Second World War 12/03/2020