This is a working shed, used by the Strathspey Railway [Preserved].
This shed opened at Aviemore in 1898, the junction between the Highland Railway's lines to Inverness and Forres. The shed is a four road shed, approached from the south. William Roberts was the architect.
A corrugated iron shed was erected for carriages in 1910, providing extra accommodation for locomotives when required. This was in the 'V' of the junction of the two routes.
Going north west from Aviemore to Inverness the Slochd Summit is crossed, locomotives from Aviemore being available to assist. Also nearby were the climbs to Dava and, following the closure in 1920 of Kingussie Shed, Druimuachdar Summit.
The shed's turntable was to the south, approached either from the island platform line at the station, to the south, or the shed and coaling platform, north.
British Railways assigned the code 60B, with Boat of Garten Shed as a sub shed.
After closure track was lifted, but was subsequently restored by the Strathspey Railway [Preserved] which operates the shed. Track within the shed was recycled from Perth Shed [HR].
The turntable from Kyle of Lochalsh's Kyle Shed was relocated here. It is to the south of the shed, approached from the shed.
A carriage shed has been erected on the site of the former carriage shed, in the 'V' of the junction.
Boat of Garten
Ballifurth Farm Halt
| Aviemore Yard|
Boat of Garten Shed
Carrbridge Heritage Park
Dulnain Viaduct [Carrbridge]
Old Pack Horse Bridge
Baddengorm Burn Viaduct
Cairngorm Hotel [Aviemore]
Station Hotel [Aviemore]
Dalfaber Level Crossing
Carrbridge Golf Club
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2