Opened on the Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway).
Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This is a three platform station, formerly with a bay at the north end on the west side. The station was rebuilt and enlarged when Aviemore became a junction on the opening of the Direct Line to Inverness via Carrbridge. The name Aviemore is from Gaelic, 'An Aghaidh Mhòr' - The big (mountain) face.
The town very much owes its existence to the railway. Before the railway opened there were very few houses here. It became a town to support the needs of the junction between the lines to Forres and Inverness when the direct route to Inverness opened throughout in 1897.
Cairngorm Mountain - Funicular Railway
Boat of Garten
Ballifurth Farm Halt
Castle Grant Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Boat of Garten Shed
Carrbridge Heritage Park
Dulnain Viaduct [Carrbridge]
Baddengorm Burn Viaduct
Dalfaber Level Crossing
Sgoran Dubh Mor
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|03/08/1863||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Forres to Aviemore opened.
|09/09/1863||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Line opened from Pitlochry to Aviemore, thus throughout from Inverness to Perth.
|18/10/1965||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Forres to Aviemore closed to passengers.
|04/11/1968||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Boat of Garten to Aviemore North Signal closed to freight.
|/07/1998||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Aviemore station re-opened and Aviemore Speyside station closed.
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2