Bellgrove

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Bellgrove (1871-)

Opened on the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway).

Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate and Airdrie.
Open on the Glasgow to Cumbernauld via Duke Street.


Description

This is an island platform station. There was a slim station building at the east end of the station and a canopied at the west end, the slim building outlasting the canopy into the late 1980s. A shelter now adorns the platform.

This was an important station as it was jointly owned by the Glasgow and Coatbridge Railway (North British Railway) and the City of Glasgow Union Railway. From here trains departed to Springburn, Airdrie, College [1st] (Glasgow), Glasgow St Enoch and Shields Road, Govan and beyond.

Two goods lines were added on the north side when the line west to High Street Junction (through Bellgrove Independent Tunnel) and east to Bellgrove Junction was quadrupled. This allowed access to High Street Goods from Cowlairs West Junction without blocking Bellgrove Junction or Bellgrove station.

To the south of the station were cattle docks and pens to serve the Bellgrove Cattle Market which was to the west of the station. A further set were to the east of the station on the north side, approached from the Springburn line.

02/12/2018

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map