Bellgrove Independent Tunnel (1904-1986)
Opened on the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway).
This tunnel carried a double track goods and minerals line parallel and to the north of the Glasgow to Coatbridge Sunnyside and Airdrie line. It was opened to relieve pressure on the passenger lines to the south. It connected High Street Goods to the City of Glasgow Union Railway (just north of Bellgrove Junction) and on to Cadder Marshalling Yard.
The line did not just serve High Street Goods it had connections at its west end to the City of Glasgow Union Railway and Barracks Street Goods.
The lines were lifted around 1986, redundant with the closure of High Street Goods.
London Road [Glasgow]
St Rollox [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Bellgrove Cattle Market
Bellgrove Cattle Bank South
High Street Junction
Bridgeton Cross South Junction
Bellgrove Cattle Bank North
High Street Goods Signal Box
Bridgeton Cross Tunnel
Barracks Mineral Yard
College North Junction
Bellgrove Coal Depot
Barrack Street Tunnel
College Goods Signal Box [GSWR]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|