Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway)

Introduction

This line is open.

The line was initially authorised for the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway as the Glasgow and Coatbridge Railway.

This line was then developed by the North British Railway to replace the previously proposed Glasgow, Airdrie and Monkland Junction Railway of 1846 which was not successful (despite having agreed to purchase the then site of the University of Glasgow for a terminus and relocate it to Glasgow's West End land was purchased in preparation - the line was not built and the University moved west at a later date to a different site from the earlier planned site).






Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Glasgow to Coatbridge

This was the terminus of the line east to Airdrie.
...

More details

This junction was at the east end of the Glasgow City and District Railway where it joined the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway).
...

More details

This is the junction to the east of High Street station where the line east to Airdrie is met with the freight and empty stock movements line from Pollok Junction.
...

More details
High Street Junction looking west. The St Johns link would create a triangle here. Left to right; GSW link to Bridgeton Central (lifted), CGU, College ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
High Street East Junction (now High Street Junction) looking west. Left to right; CGU line, College goods (closed), GCDR and High Street Goods ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
To the east of High Street East Junction looking west. The line to the Barracks mineral yard was to the left, then the High Street signalbox and then ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
334025 on an Edinburgh - Milngavie service begins the descent to High Street station and the low level tunnel section of the line on 24th January ...
Colin McDonald 24/01/2015

This mineral depot was opened around 1907 as part of the North British Railway's improvements to its goods facilities in Glasgow.
...

More details

This quadruple track tunnel is 220 yards long. Only two tracks presently run through it from High Street Junction to Bellgrove station.
...

More details

The Glasgow cattle market moved to Bellgrove in 1817. The market was rebuilt several times and this market dates from around the 1870s.
...

More details
Just west of Bellgrove the line dives under the Glasgow cattlemarket (closed). View looks east. ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
Looking west from Bellgrove the line dives under the Glasgow cattlemarket (closed). ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006

This is an island platform station. There was a slim station building at the east end of the station and a canopied at the west end, the slim building outlasting the canopy into the late 1980s. A shelter now adorns the platform.
...

More details
A Dalmuir to Cumbernauld service at Bellgrove on 5 August. There's not really such a place as Bellgrove; it's just the name of a Street here in ...
David Panton 05/08/2017
An Airdrie to Balloch service calls at Bellgrove on 1 December 2018. With all the changes to North Clyde services over the decades this one has ...
David Panton 01/12/2018
Diesels on the North Clyde lines? A common sight until August when Glasgow Queen Street High Level reopens. An Edinburgh Waverley service from Low ...
David Panton 30/04/2016
320 310 emerges from under the Bellgrove Street bridge into Bellgrove station on 26 March. The fact that it's a 320 reveals that it's not an ...
David Panton 26/03/2011



Bellgrove East signal box was at Bellgrove Junction, the first version being on the north side of the junction. This was replaced in 1904 when the line was quadrupled. The new box was in the 'V' of the junction and surrounded by lines thanks to the complications of the passenger and goods lines. (To the west the southern of the four through lines were the passenger lines and the northern pair were ...

More details
The Dropper has come loose from the Contact Wire. This was noticed just East of Duke Street ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
An unidentified electric multiple unit, sandwiched between two translator coaches, is hauled by 47805 up the gradient towards Eastfield on 23rd ...
Colin McDonald 23/12/2015
The 11:10 service to Cumbernauld passes the SPAD signal [see image 33386] on 6 October approaching the single lead Bellgrove Junction. It is about to ...
Colin McDonald 06/10/2014
320 321 comes off the Springburn branch at Bellgrove Junction on 26 March 2011 with a Dalmuir service. ...
David Panton 26/03/2011

A Hyndland - Easterhouse train passing Camlachie box on 1 May 1958 behind V1 2-6-2T 67633. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/05/1958
V1 67661 at Camlachie on 1 May 1958 with a Hyndland - Shettleston train, with PW work taking place in the goods yard on the left. [See image 50798] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/05/1958
26011 shunting scrap wagons in the former Camlachie Goods Yard, here reduced to a single track serving a scrapyard in 1988. [See image 51978] ...
Ewan Crawford //1988


This signal box was to the west of Parkhead North station and controlled its western approach. The box was on the north side of the line. The Switchback (Caledonian Railway) crossed overhead just to the east.
...

More details

This forge in Parkhead was built around 1837 for Reoch Brothers & Co. It grew under William Beardmore's ownership to become a large concern, manufacturing a broad range of products including armaments and heavy steel plate. It was associated with the Beardmore Ship Yard, Inchterf Proving Range and Inchinnan Airship Constructional Station. The larger portfolio extended to ...

More details

This was a two platform station. To the south were two goods lines, and a yard. To the east was Parkhead Shed and Parkhead Junction [NB].
...

More details
Between the Bridges ... old and new. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
The disused railway bridge over Duke Street across from the Forge Shopping Centre. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
Looking underneath the disused bridge at Duke Street, Glasgow ... is it me or does picture have movement?? ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
Inscription on the disused railway brigde over Duke Street. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006

The lines from Bellgrove and Alexandra Parade met here. The junction was east of Parkhead North station. The signal box here survived closure of the junction and was swept away by the Yoker re-signalling scheme.
...

More details
Half a mile north west of Parkhead Junction the CGU line to Haghill crossed two major roads near their meeting point. Photograph taken in April 2009 ...
John Furnevel 02/04/2009
British Rail Subsiduary marking on bridge... BRB site quote Glasgow: Former Haghill Branch from Todd Street to Cumbernauld Road G-HHB-577-1A. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
Underneath the Parkhead branch line of the City of Glasgow Union Railway. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
Remains of overbridge to path below at Parkhead looking toward Haghill. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006

This shed was south of the Glasgow and Coatbridge Railway (North British Railway) and east of Parkhead North station. It was a double ended shed and access was from the west and east.
...

More details
J37 0-6-0 64588 photographed on Parkhead shed in September 1961. ...
K A Gray 25/09/1961
Photograph taken in the shed yard at 65C Parkhead on 3 April 1961. Locomotives present include Gresley V3 2-6-2T 67611, stabled alongside classmate ...
K A Gray 03/04/1961
J37 no 64561 stands in the shed yard at Parkhead around 1963. ...
Jim Peebles //1963
48774/3/5 with unidentified Clan stored at Parkhead summer 1963. Now preserved 48773 later returned to service and lasted until the end of steam in ...
Bill Hamilton //1963

This is a two platform station elevated above surrounding streets.
...

More details
An Edinburgh service pulls into Carntyne on 5 August. ...
David Panton 05/08/2017
An Edinburgh to Milngavie service calls at Carntyne in the east end of Glasgow on 8 September 2018. The unlovely area around the station is nothing ...
David Panton 08/09/2018
Recently laid ballast in place along the section to the east of Carntyne on 28 April 1958, as Parkhead V3 67613 pulls away from the station and runs ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/04/1958
Carntyne station, looking west. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This is a two platform station on the former North British Railway's Glasgow to Coatbridge line. The station is immediately west of Shettleston Junction and a small permanent way depot. It became a junction station in 1877 on the opening of the branch to Hamilton.
...

More details
Hidden away at the east end of Platform 1 at Shettleston, this rather fine station garden goes almost unnoticed by many daily commuters. April 2018. ...
Colin McDonald 21/04/2018
318260, leading a six coach Balloch to Airdrie service, calls at 'Baile Nighean Sheadna' on 14 October 2017. [Google translates this as 'Home ...
David Panton 14/10/2017
Even in 2017 not all trains on UK railways have Controlled Emission Toilets yet, but at least passengers at Shettleston can look forward to the end of ...
Colin McDonald 25/10/2017
A 6-coach Class 334 on an Edinburgh – Helensburgh service passes through Shettleston station at speed on a sunny May evening. ...
Colin McDonald 08/05/2017

This rail served permanent way depot is to the immediate south of the former Shettleston Junction and just east of Shettleston station. The depot may date from the opening of the Hamilton branch in 1877. ...

More details
Early morning view through the trees over the Network Rail Depot at Shettleston on 14th December 2018. The exit from Shettleston loop is in the left ...
Colin McDonald 14/12/2018
Taking a rest from the nightly grind, a Strabag SF02 road-rail milling unit waits at Network Rail's Shettleston depot on 22 February 2017. ...
Colin McDonald 22/02/2017
Looking into the large STRC (formerly Jarvis) PW depot at Shettleston on 13 May 2007 from just north of the main entrance on South Hallhill Road. The ...
John Furnevel 00/05/2007
A westbound class 334 passes the little used sidings at Shettleston which are now part of the Torrent Trackside depot. On the other side of the yellow ...
Colin McDonald 07/02/2015

This junction between the North British Railway's Glasgow-Coatbridge line and the Hamilton Branch opened in 1877 and closed on 04/10/1965, with the closure of the line to Mount Vernon Colliery. There was a small set of sidings on the Hamilton branch and a Glasgow bound loop.
...

More details
Taken from the point where the line crossed under Eastmuir Street (now Shettleston Road), this is the view in 2017 northwest along the course of the ...
Colin McDonald 20/03/2017
The twin bridges at Shettleston showing forewarning of a road closure for inspection. (But for which bridge?)
...
Colin McDonald 29/03/2019
The trackbed at the start of the GBH&C in 2017, now part of the yard at the Network Rail Shettleston Depot. Behind the fence survives the 3 track ...
Colin McDonald 17/03/2017
Another view of the trackbed on the bridge across Gartocher Road taken through the fence at the Network Rail Shettleston Depot. At this point the line ...
Colin McDonald 17/03/2017

This yard was east of Shettleston Junction on the North British Railway's Glasgow-Coatbridge line. The yard survived, in much reduced form, into the 1980s. Some track remains, out of use. A looped sidings remains on the south side of the line running from the east part of the yard to Shettleston Junction.
...

More details
Assorted pieces of plant pictured at dusk at the north side of Shettleston junction. These seem have been here for some years. ...
Colin McDonald 21/03/2017
Shettleston Yard was in use as an extensive PW depot in 1988. The yard was formerly associated with various local works such as the Mount Vernon Iron ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Mysterious objects stand guard among the trees in the twilight at the north side of the railway at Shettleston junction. These may be the stored ...
Colin McDonald 21/03/2017

This signal box controlled the east approach to Shettleston Yard. ...

More details

This works was located to the east of Shettleston Yard and south of the North British Railway's Glasgow-Coatbridge line. ...

More details

This is a two platform station.
...

More details
A Helensburgh service calls at Garrowhill on 14 October 2017. Formerly Garrowhill Halt it retains its halt-like ticket office at Street level.
...
David Panton 14/10/2017
An Airdrie to Balloch service calls at Garrowhill on 25 August 2018. In the days when these things mattered this was 'Garrowhill Halt' and it still ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
SPT liveried 320317 pulls up below the booking office at Garrowhill on 1 September 2006 with an Airdrie - Helensburgh Central service. ...
John Furnevel 01/09/2006
320317 calls at Garrowhill on the first day of autumn 2006 with a Balloch - Airdrie service. View west from the station footbridge towards ...
John Furnevel 01/09/2006



This is a two platform station. It is located between Easterhouse itself (to the north) and Swinton to the south. North of the ststion runs the M8, formerly the Monkland Canal. To the south was Hallhill Colliery Pit No 1.
...

More details
An Edinburgh to Helensburgh service calls at Easterhouse on 21 February 2019. The diet of 334s on this line seems to be unvarying. The station is ...
David Panton 21/02/2019
A Balloch to Airdrie service calls at Easterhouse on 19 May. The name is rather freighted, but the troubled public housing estate is some distance ...
David Panton 19/05/2018
Easterhouse station, looking west. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Westbound train arriving at Easterhouse in September 2006 formed by 320321. ...
John Furnevel 01/09/2006

This was a two platform station with the main building on the Glasgow bound platform. Although there was little housing in the area there were a number of coal mines. The main station building was on the westbound platform and signalbox on the eastbound.
...

More details

Before the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) opened Drumpeller Colliery, to the east, was served by a canal branch on the north side of the Monkland Canal.
...

More details
Obscure signalboxes: Heatheryknowe. This was located west of Blairhill at the former Heatheryknowe Junction where lines to Lochwood and Heatheryknowe ...
Ewan Crawford /12/1989

This is a two platform station. The station building is above the westbound platform with a footbridge running to the eastbound platform. To the south of the station is the car park. The station serves the north west of Coatbridge.
...

More details
320315 approaching Blaihill station with a Balloch to Airdrie train on 3rd August 2017. ...
Alastair McLellan 03/08/2017
320411 approaching Blairhill station with a Airdrie to Balloch service on 3rd August 2017.
...
Alastair McLellan 03/08/2017
A new overbridge,lifts and entrance from the new car park. 8/10/16. ...
Alastair McLellan 08/10/2016
A Helensburgh Central service enters Blairhill on 20 June. The station is certainly more inviting than it used to be. ...
David Panton 20/06/2018

This junction is the successor to the original junction between the main line of the Monkland and Kirktintilloch Railway and the Kipps branch.
...

More details
Colas 37421 leading the Network Rail track testing train east through Sunnyside Junction with 37116 on the rear. 5th July 2018
...
Alastair McLellan 05/07/2018
Colas 37219 on the Network Rail track recording train approaching Sunnyside Jct from the Whifflet loop. Large Logo 37025 is on the rear (06/07/17)
...
Alastair McLellan 06/07/2017
Colas 37116 on the Network Rail track recording train at Sunnyside Junction on 5th July 2018
...
Alastair McLellan 05/07/2018
334024 passing the site of Sunnyside Junction signal box in July 2017, with the track into Gunnie Yard still visible. To the left is the entrance to ...
Alastair McLellan 12/07/2017




High Street Goods

This was a large goods depot in Glasgow.
...

More details
Gates at the main entrance to the former High Street goods depot in March 2007. View east towards Bellgrove with the current High Street passenger ...
John Furnevel 18/03/2007
High Street Goods shed looking west. ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
One of the original firebells from the former High Street Goods station, retained along with the brick facade and now a feature on the north wall of ...
Colin McDonald 27/01/2015
View east along Duke Street from the junction with High Street on 27 January 2015 showing the surviving wall of High Street goods station incorporated ...
Colin McDonald 27/01/2015

This signal box controlled the east end of High Street Goods. It opened around 1904 and closed in 1967. The goods depot remained open until 1982. The shell of the box survived into the 2000s. ...

More details

This is the junction to the east of High Street station where the line east to Airdrie is met with the freight and empty stock movements line from Pollok Junction.
...

More details
High Street Junction looking west. The St Johns link would create a triangle here. Left to right; GSW link to Bridgeton Central (lifted), CGU, College ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
High Street East Junction (now High Street Junction) looking west. Left to right; CGU line, College goods (closed), GCDR and High Street Goods ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
To the east of High Street East Junction looking west. The line to the Barracks mineral yard was to the left, then the High Street signalbox and then ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
334025 on an Edinburgh - Milngavie service begins the descent to High Street station and the low level tunnel section of the line on 24th January ...
Colin McDonald 24/01/2015




Bellgrove Goods Lines

This signal box controlled the east end of High Street Goods. It opened around 1904 and closed in 1967. The goods depot remained open until 1982. The shell of the box survived into the 2000s. ...

More details

This is the junction to the east of High Street station where the line east to Airdrie is met with the freight and empty stock movements line from Pollok Junction.
...

More details
High Street Junction looking west. The St Johns link would create a triangle here. Left to right; GSW link to Bridgeton Central (lifted), CGU, College ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
High Street East Junction (now High Street Junction) looking west. Left to right; CGU line, College goods (closed), GCDR and High Street Goods ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
To the east of High Street East Junction looking west. The line to the Barracks mineral yard was to the left, then the High Street signalbox and then ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
334025 on an Edinburgh - Milngavie service begins the descent to High Street station and the low level tunnel section of the line on 24th January ...
Colin McDonald 24/01/2015

This tunnel carried a double track goods and minerals line parallel and to the north of the Glasgow to Coatbridge Sunnyside and Airdrie line. It was opened to relieve pressure on the passenger lines to the south. It connected High Street Goods to the City of Glasgow Union Railway (just north of Bellgrove Junction) and on to Cadder Marshalling Yard.
...

More details

Bellgrove East signal box was at Bellgrove Junction, the first version being on the north side of the junction. This was replaced in 1904 when the line was quadrupled. The new box was in the 'V' of the junction and surrounded by lines thanks to the complications of the passenger and goods lines. (To the west the southern of the four through lines were the passenger lines and the northern pair were ...

More details
The Dropper has come loose from the Contact Wire. This was noticed just East of Duke Street ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
An unidentified electric multiple unit, sandwiched between two translator coaches, is hauled by 47805 up the gradient towards Eastfield on 23rd ...
Colin McDonald 23/12/2015
The 11:10 service to Cumbernauld passes the SPAD signal [see image 33386] on 6 October approaching the single lead Bellgrove Junction. It is about to ...
Colin McDonald 06/10/2014
320 321 comes off the Springburn branch at Bellgrove Junction on 26 March 2011 with a Dalmuir service. ...
David Panton 26/03/2011