Stranraer Harbour (1862-1993)
Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.
Open on the Glasgow to Ayr and Stranraer.
The original station on the pier was minimal; two tracks were laid on the pier - with a very short platform on west side at end of tideline, the line continued down the pier with a steamer office, goods shed near end of pier. There were cattle docks at base of pier. The pier had a slip at its end.
The pier is sometimes referred to as the east pier.
By 1895 there were further cattle docks at the base of the pier, two tracks up pier with little accommodation. The station building was where goods shed was, close to end of pier.
By 1908 the current station had been built. The station has two platforms, separated by four tracks - the two centre roads being loco release lines. There was, formerly, a bay platform on the west side.
The signal box still stands but in recent years the footbridge connecting the platforms has been removed. Station buildings are on the west side with a canopy over a good length of the platform.
Transit (London Road [Stranraer])
Other railway and industry locations
Stranraer Harbour Junction
Cairnryan Junction Yard
Old House Point
Little Gennoch No 2 Level Crossing
Little Gennoch No 1 Level Crossing
Milton of Larg No 1 Level Crossing
Milton of Larg No 2 Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn