This is a two platform station with a loop which breaks the single track section between Girvan and Pinwherry. The station building is on the southbound platform and there is a wooden waiting room on the northbound platform. Crossing between the platforms is by a walkway crossing at the south end of the station.
There is a small car park, really just the approach road.
The goods yard was laid out on the east side of the line, south of the station loop, connected to the southbound line.
The original box was replaced in 1907. The present signal box is from Portpatrick, relocated here in 1935 after the Barrhill box burned down. Tablet instruments are in the station building. The signal box was shortened for use here.
The goods loading bank remains, although there is no siding.
| Lig Burn Viaduct|
Cairnlea No 2 Level Crossing
Cairnlea No 1 Level Crossing
Miltonise Level Crossing
Markdhu No 1 Level Crossing
Laggangarn Standing Stones
Marklach No 1 Level Crossing
Marklach No 3 Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/12/1908||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Southbound train becomes snowed in a mile south of Barrhill. Passengers are trapped in carriages for two nights.
|/ /1935||Portpatrick Railway|
Stranraer to Portpatrick starts to be operated as one engine in steam. Portpatrick signal box is moved to Barrhill on the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.
|/ /1939||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Due to wartime traffic, Pinmore, Pinwherry, Barrhill and New Luce loops lengthened to 12 carriages. Bryson tablet exchange introduced.