Portpatrick Harbour (1863-1868)
Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.
The harbour station was reached by reversal at Portpatrick - the line extended beyond the platform there to a reversing spur and the branch dropped down to the harbour.
The harbour station had a single platform and two loops. It was located above the north end of the harbour. By continuing onto a reversing spur on the shore a train could reach a quayside line on the north side of the harbour and, by turnplates, lines down the west and east side of the inner harbour. Further, a siding continued onto the northern breakwater.
Nothing obvious remains of the station or harbour lines. There are two bridge parapets by Main Street. The station site is now a tennis court and bowling green.
Transit (London Road [Stranraer])
Other railway and industry locations
Stranraer Harbour Junction
Cairnryan Junction Yard
Little Gennoch No 2 Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn