This is a two platform station beneath Glasgow Queen Street High Level. Trains at the high level station can be heard arriving and departing from below.
This station was built directly below the already open High Level station (opened in 1842 as the Glasgow terminus of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) on the Glasgow City and District Railway which connected together North British Railway owned lines in the west and the east of the city with a new set of station serving the city itself. It was immediately an urban line, an alternative to the high level main line station and a part of a network reaching over long distances to Edinburgh Waverley.
The station had four platforms - two westbound on the south side and two eastbound on the north side. The central island platform was narrow. At either end of the platforms the station is open to the air above but the majority of it is entirely covered with the girders supporting the mainline station. There were signal boxes on gantries over the lines at both west and east ends. These were dispensed with in 1960 with re-signalling for the electrification of the line.
The island platform and its lines have been abandoned (lines lifted around 1960), allowing the remaining platforms to be extended onto the trackbed and the lines realigned.
With the closure of Glasgow Central Low Level in 1964 the line through station became the sole east-west standard gauge line across the city until Central Low Level re-opened in 1979. The station walls were ^clad^ around 1986.
To the west the Charing Cross Tunnel carries the line to Charing Cross [GC and DR] station and the the east High Street is reached by the High Street Tunnel.
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Buchanan Street [Subway]
Glasgow St Enoch
Glasgow Central Low Level
St Enoch [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
| Buchanan Street Goods|
High Street Tunnel
Charing Cross Tunnel
Buchanan Street Shed
Sun Foundry [Glasgow]
Buchanan Street Tunnel West Signal Box
High Street Goods
St Enoch Locomotive Depot
Hill Street Foundry
George Square [Glasgow]
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
St Enoch Shopping Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/08/1863||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Line opened as a single track. Stations at; Bearsden, Milngavie. The line ran from Milngavie to Milngavie Junction (later renamed Westerton Junction) with trains continuing to Glasgow Queen Street High Level until the Glasgow City and District Railway opened after which trains started to serve Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.
|15/03/1886||Glasgow City and District Railway|
Yorkhill (Finnieston East Junction) to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to High Street (College East Junction) opened. A third rail was used for train lighting.
|08/01/1956||Glasgow City and District Railway
Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway)
Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway
New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)
Boghead to Cowdenhead Branch (Monkland Railways)
Torbanehill and Bathgate Branch (Monkland Railways)
Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
|/ /1959||Glasgow City and District Railway|
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level re-built from four platforms to two. The island platform in the middle is isolated from passengers and the lines reduced from four to two.
|04/11/1960||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Last steam trains from Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Helensburgh Central as the line is electrified.
|/ /1973||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Glasgow Queen Street High Level and Glasgow Queen Street Low Level modernised.