This line is open. The line is used by ScotRail to provide a service between Ayr and Stranraer. Services start from Glasgow (running down via Kilwinning) or Carlisle (running via Dumfries, Kilmarnock and Ayr). Much freight was carried until the early 1990s. The direct trains to Newcastle have been withdrawn.
|/ /1865||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|03/10/1870||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Opened. (Date doubtful).
|/ /1872||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
|05/10/1877||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Line opened from a junction at Girvan (Maybole and Girvan Railway) to Challoch Junction (Portpatrick Railway). (Alternative date: 3/10/1870).
|07/02/1882||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction RailwayPortpatrick Railway|
Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway trains banned from Stranraer and Portpatrick by the Portpatrick Railway. Line closed temporarily from Girvan to Challoch Junction.
|01/08/1883||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction RailwayPortpatrick Railway|
Lifting of ban of Girvan line trains from the Portpatrick Railway.
|12/04/1886||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Line closed for two months due to financial problems.
|18/06/1886||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
|02/09/1886||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
|/ /1887||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction RailwayAyr and Wigtownshire Railway|
Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway absorbed by Ayr and Wigtownshire Railway, a company formed by James Hall Renton amongst others, to re-finance the line.
|/ /1892||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Ayr and Wigtownshire Railway bought by the Glasgow and South Western Railway. Girvan (Old) closed and reparations made to the Girvan and Portpatrick line.
|01/04/1894||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Girvan (New) renamed Girvan.
|/02/1895||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Northbound train is snowed in at Chirmorie Summit, the passengers forced to stay in local cottages, and is only freed after a week.
|/ /1907||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Pinwherry signal box opened.
|28/12/1908||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Southbound train becomes snowed in a mile south of Barrhill. Passengers are trapped in carriages for two nights.
|15/11/1922||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Southbound freight train parts near Pinmore, the second portion catches up with the first portion and crashes into it.
|/ /1927||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Sunday trains, excursions, start on line.
|22/07/1928||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Northbound freight train de-rails just north of Pinwherry loop, after passing through the tightly curved station at speed.
|/ /1935||Portpatrick Railway|
Stranraer to Portpatrick starts to be operated as one engine in steam. Portpatrick signal box is moved to Barrhill on the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.
|/ /1937||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Second platform is added at Glenwhilly and the loop is extended to 12 carriages.
|/ /1939||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Due to wartime traffic, Pinmore, Pinwherry, Barrhill and New Luce loops lengthened to 12 carriages. Bryson tablet exchange introduced.
|/ /1947||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Southbound train becomes trapped in snow south of Glenwhilly. After two nights passengers are taken to Glenwhilly. The train was stuck for a further 3 days.
|/ /1959||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
DMUs introduced on Glasgow to Stranraer workings.
|/ /1964||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Pinmore signal box and loop closed.
|06/06/1965||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Pinmore, Pinwherry, Glenwhilly and New Luce stations closed.
|14/06/1965||Portpatrick RailwayCastle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction to Dumfries closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. The 'Paddy' is diverted via Mauchline and the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.
|14/06/1965||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Number of trains on line increases after closure of the Portpatrick Railway. Trains are diverted to run via Mauchline to Girvan and the former Challoch Junction for Stranraer.
|/ /1970||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Glenwhilly station demolished.
|/ /1971||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
New Luce station demolished.
|/ /1984||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Glasgow to Stranraer DMUs withdrawn and replaced with locomotive hauled 'SEALINK' slam-door stock.
|03/10/1988||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Class 156 Sprinters introduced.
|/ /1990||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway
Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Stranraer to Euston sleeper withdrawn.
|/ /1992||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Pinwherry signal box and loop removed.
These locations are along the line.
This is a double track viaduct north of Girvan station and south of the former Girvan Junction. The double track Girvan Loop, which extends north from the south end of the station to the former junction, passes over the viaduct.
This is a two platform station with a Streamline Moderne (Art Deco) styled building on the up platform. Platforms are linked by a subway.
This was a single platform station with a passing loop. The goods yard was on the west side, approached from the north, and passenger platform on the east side with a two storey station building. The signal box was at the north end, east side of the line, and south of the road bridge.
This is an eleven arch gently curved single track masonry viaduct south of Pinmore, it is also known as Pinmore Viaduct or Kinclaer Viaduct. The viaduct is reinforced with old rails.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop on the single track line. The two storey station building was on the southbound platform. To the south, on the west side of the line, was the signal box. The goods yard was on the east side, south of the station, accessed from the south end of the southbound line. There was a goods shed at the south end of the yard, at Drumspillan close to the ...More details
This is a two platform station with a loop which breaks the single track section between Girvan and Pinwherry. The station building is on the southbound platform and there is a wooden waiting room on the northbound platform. Crossing between the platforms is by a walkway crossing at the south end of the station.
Glenwhilly was a station at a remote location in farmed moorland. Glenwhilly Farm, for which it is named, is to the north.
Or Bloody Wheel Viaduct.
This was a two platform station. The main building was on the southbound platform. Platforms were slightly staggered, the northbound platform being slightly to the north.