This was a two platform station. It had a large wooden roof over both platforms. The southbound (up) platform and building still stand. The trackbed is now occupied by the A6091.
The station enjoyed a location above the town and to its south, with a view overlooking Melrose Abbey. The main station building, on the eastbound platform, presented a single storey to the platforms and two storeys to the north, town, side. The styling is a mixture of styles including Jacobean. The architect was John Miller. A disadvantage of the prominent position over the town is the climb which was required up the hill to the station.
Originally there were four tracks between the platforms - two centre lines allowing non stop trains to bypass the station. When the station gained its later layout the goods yard, formerly approached by reversing from the northbound line and on the south side, was looped.
The signal box closed in 1964 and the railway closed in 1969.
The main building became derelict until restoration in 1984.
The nearest station is Tweedbank to the north and was St Boswells to the south - a short lived station just to the east existed at Newstead [Melrose].
Westwards from Melrose to Tweedbank much of the former railway route remains intact, or at least sufficient for a single track to be reinstated. Through the station the trackbed is occupied by the Melrose bypass but beyond it much of the route is intact again to Newstead [Melrose].
A restaurant Monte Cassino Restaurant and a nursery are based in the remaining station building.
To the north of the former station is Melrose Abbey .
Starting from the abbey, and passing close to the station, is the St Cuthbert's Way which runs south to the Eildon Hills and ultimately east to Lindisfarne.
Abbotsford Ferry [2nd]
Abbotsford Ferry [1st]
| Darnick Siding|
Galashiels Gas Board Siding
St Boswells Shed [1st]
St Boswells Shed [2nd]
Galashiels and District Electric Supply Co
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1923||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Melrose station's timber roof removed.
|06/01/1969||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Marquis of Lothians Waggonway
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Border Union Railway (North British Railway)
Carlisle and Port Carlisle Railway and Dock|
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick [2nd] to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange [1st], Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Galashiels 1897: Selkirkshire Sheet 08.02 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Selkirkshire)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
Hawick to Galashiels: The Waverley Route Including the Selkirk Branch (Scottish Main Lines)
Last Years of the Waverley Route
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
On the Waverley Route
Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail
The Waverley Route Through Time
The Waverley Route: Its Heritage and Revival
The Waverley Route: The Postwar Years
Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway
Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route