Newstead [Melrose]

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Newbridge [Melrose] (1849-1850)
Newstead [Melrose] (1850-1852)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a short lived station to the east of Melrose.

The location of the platforms may have been west of the bridge over a minor road at this site.

Sidings on the north side of the line, approached by reversing from the southbound line, served two sheds.

The site of the sidings remains vacant today.

Much of the route west to Melrose remains intact today but east to Ravenswood Junction the trackbed is now occupied by the A6091.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map