This is a two platform station dating from 1847. The architect of the main station building on the northbound platform is thought to be David Bell. The central portion is two storey with a double arched entry. To the sides are single storey wings which link to two storey blocks on either side. A flat roofed canopy runs the full length on the platform side. The building on the southbound platform is built to a later standard North British Railway style.
There were formerly three tracks between the platforms, but the centre line has been lifted. At the west end of the station is a three arch bridge carrying Station Road. Nothing passes through the south arch, the westbound and lifted centre line passed the centre arch and the eastbound passes through the north arch.
There were two yards - a goods yard which is now the car park next to the station building and a coal and grain yard to the north east. Both yards were to the north of the line and accessed from the east.
With the removal of the goods yards, there is a space between the signal box and the running lines.
The coal staithes and granary ('A' listed) have been renovated for office use.
The main station building is now the Cupar Museum and Heritage Centre .
The Artline - Art and Heritage on the railway in Fife
| Beet Factory Signal Box|
Cults Lime Works
Bunzion Lime Works
Rathillet Mill Bridge
Ladybank South Junction
Guard Bridge Viaduct
Hill of Tarvit Mansion
Coaltown of Burnturk
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
DMM Crichton Statue
A statue of David Maitland Makgill Crichton (1801-1851) is located on the east side of the road at the south end of the bridge at the south west end of Cupar station. The statue looks out over the bridge. It was Crichton who had the Edinburgh and Northern Railway build the bridge rather than their proposed level crossing.
The original course of the road, Riggs Row, was cut by the railway. It survives just to the west as Riggs Place, to the south, and Railway Place, to the north.
The National Galleries have a photograph of Crichton. National Galleries - David Maitland Makgill Crichton
Crichton was a clergyman who resided at Nether Rankeilour, a house to the west of Cupar and Springfield.
|31/07/1845||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. Mainline from Burntisland to Perth via Ladybank. Branches from Ladybank to Cupar and Kirkcaldy to the harbour. The Perth station was to be by the Dundee and Perth Railway station.
|17/09/1847||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Opened from Burntisland to Lindores and Cupar. Stations at Burntisland [1st], Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy, Sinclairtown, Dysart, Thornton, Markinch, Falkland Road, Kingskettle, Ladybank, Collessie, Lindores [1st], Springfield and Cupar.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife