Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
Opened on the Ayr and Mauchline Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
This was a three platform station about half a mile to the south of Mauchline itself. The main station building was on the main line southbound platform. There was a goods yard at the east end, north of the line, approached by reversal.
When first opened it was a two platform station with the goods yard at the west end, approached by reversal from the southbound platform. The main building dated from this station.
The location became a junction in 1870 when the line west to Annbank and Ayr opened. The former northbound platform became an island with a second face used for the branch. A building was provided on the island with canopies. The junction was at the east end of the station.
The station had two signal boxes, both opened in 1874. The north box, at the north end of the station and east side of the line and south box at the east end, south side of the line. The north box became No 1 and the south No 2. The no 2 box was replaced in 1897.
After 1903 the island platform was used for trains for the short Catrine branch, to the east. South of the passenger stations were several sidings and a turntable at the east end. Around 1900 a new station building, similar to West Kilbride, was built to the west of the original main station building.
The station closed to passengers in 1965.
After closure to passengers the layout was altered in 1970. The junction was moved to the former west end. The no 2 box closed and the surviving box became simply 'Mauchline'.
Sidings remain on the south side. The original station building still stands, now a house, and a goods shed still stands in the former goods yard, now a small industrial estate. The junction is still controlled by a signal box which is on the north side of the line and west end of the former station site.
To the west of the siding was a siding serving a tramway to Barskimming Quarry [1st] and Barskimming Quarry [2nd] , south of the line. To the east were sidings serving the Ballochmyle Quarries.
The line to Annbank (excluded) closed in 1983. It reopened in 1988 (it was reduced to a single track line before 1982). This reduced the distance to Falkland Yard for trains which no longer had to work round via Kilmarnock.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Barskimming Quarry [1st]
Barskimming Quarry [2nd]
Mauchline Colliery Pits Nos 1,2,4
Garrochburn Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|14/06/1965||Portpatrick RailwayCastle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction to Dumfries closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. The 'Paddy' is diverted via Mauchline and the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.