This was a two platform terminus in the east of Aberfeldy. The main platform could accommodate a long train alongside the station building and had a run-round loop and the short platform could take a few coaches and was at the east end of the station.
The station building had something of the style of Pitlochry's main building; two crow steps gables but with a building length canopy. The original timber building was a reconstruction of the building which had been erected at the abortive Rafford station. The timber building was replaced in 1878 following a fire.
There was a goods yard at the east end of the station and on the north side of the line. A single ended one road locomotive shed, Aberfeldy Shed, was reached from the platform's loop line. An aerial ropeway connected a rock hopper/crusher, to the south of the shed, to Gatehouse Quarry to the south.
The signal box was east of the station, on the south side of the platform lines with the engine shed to its south.
Until 1904 there were through coaches from Aberfeldy to Glasgow.
The station, box and line closed in 1965. At the end the branch train was reduced to a locomotive and single carriage for all the traffic, often a handful of passengers.
The station site is now a car park.
To the east is Aberfeldy Distillery, which was formerly served by the railway.
South west of Aberfeldy is Taymouth Castle, on the south bank of the River Tay, the castle being the seat of the Campbells, Marquesses of Breadalbane.
A little further south west is Kenmore Pier on Loch Tay, which had steamers running south west to Loch Tay station pier on the Killin Railway.
Black Island Platform
Dunkeld and Birnam
| Aberfeldy Shed|
St Mary's Church Grandtully
Kenmore Crannog Centre
Pitlochry Fish Ladder
Pitlochry Festival Theatre
Linn of Tummel Waterfall
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|22/07/1861||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Act obtained for a line between Dunkeld and Forres, and Ballinluig to Aberfeldy. Engineer: Joseph Mitchell.
|03/07/1865||Aberfeldy Branch (Highland Railway)|
Ballinluig to Aberfeldy opened.
|03/07/1865||Aberfeldy Branch (Inverness and Perth Junction Railway)|
Aberfeldy branch opened.
|01/03/1965||Aberfeldy Branch (Inverness and Perth Junction Railway)|
Aberfeldy to Ballinluig closed to freight.
|03/05/1965||Aberfeldy Branch (Highland Railway)|
Aberfeldy to Ballinluig closed to passengers.
|03/05/1965||Aberfeldy Branch (Inverness and Perth Junction Railway)|