This junction was east of Dock Street Tunnel, Dundee. It was the junction between the Dundee to Arbroath line and the later lines opened with the Tay Bridge.
The westernmost part of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway was actually built by the Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway in 1840. Its Dundee terminus was at Dundee Trades Lane which was replaced with Dundee East in 1857. There was a level crossing immediately to the east of the station where the lines to the passenger station (south) and goods station (north) divided. To the south, and alongside the docks, was a street tramway/railway of the Dundee Harbour Trustees with which there was a connection.
This system of lines was chiefly Caledonian Railway owned by 1866.
In 1878, in connection with the opening of the Tay Bridge [1st], the North British Railway opened a line connecting to their bridge and also running from Buckingham Junction to Tay Bridge [Station] (now Dundee) station and on to the Dock Street Tunnel, making its connection east of Dundee East station at Camperdown Junction. This provided the first proper west to east railway connection through the city. As a result Dundee East was left on a short branch.
The NBR had previously arranged for running powers over the Dundee and Arbroath Railway, in advance in 1870. Now, with the opening of the bridge the Dundee and Arbroath Railway came into joint Caledonian Railway and North British Railway ownership, this being completed in 1880.
Camperdown Junction box opened in 1878. It was located over the westbound line to the east of the level crossing.
This box was replaced in 1903 with a much larger building. This was on the north side of the junction and west side of the level crossing. With expansion of this box in 1939 it replaced three boxes (from west to east):
- Dundee East (to the west at the station)
- Camperdown Junction
- Dundee East No 2 Gates (to the east where the Dundee East End Mineral Depot lines made a trailing connection)
The direct route from Broughty Ferry to Forfar [2nd] closed to passengers in 1955 and Dundee East closed in 1959.
With closure of the Strathmore Main Line in 1967 all Aberdeen traffic was transferred to the Dundee route.
Dundee East remained as sidings and a loop (which formerly led to the street tramway/railway to Dundee West to serve a concrete depot.
Camperdown box closed in 1985, replaced by the Dundee Signalling Centre.
The Camperdown level crossing has been stopped up. (Around 2010?)
Dundee Trades Lane
Dundee Ward Road
Offset at Back of Law
| Dundee East Shed|
Dundee East End Mineral Depot
Carolina Port Signal Box
Dundee Earl Grey Dock
Dock Street Tunnel
Dundee West Goods
Dundee Signalling Centre
Dundee Ward Road Shed
Tay Bridge Goods
Maryfield Tram Depot
Dundee Camperdown Dock
Dundee Victoria Dock
Dundee King George V Wharf
V and A Museum Dundee
Dundee Craig Harbour
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways