This is a single platform station which retains its station building, 'B' listed, which is now a house after spending several years derelict and at risk. The building opened with the station, the architect was William Fowler. The building has a unique design, presumably with the Duke of Sutherland's patronage in mind.
There was a passing loop here but the northbound platform and line have been removed. The platforms were slightly staggered.
A goods yard was to the east of the station. Alongside the goods yard ,to its south east, was Golspie Shed. Both yard and shed were approached from the south.
A turntable was at the south end of the northbound platform, beyond the south box, and approached from the north.
The station had two signal boxes, both on the west side of the line. The north box was north of the road bridge. The south box was opposite the goods turn out. Both boxes closed in 1966 and the loop taken out, although the south box was replaced by a ground frame for the goods yard.
A water column was on the northbound platform.
A skew arch viaduct bridge crossed the line just to the north of the station, but this has been replaced by a modern concrete bridge.
Golspie Burn Viaduct is further east, close to Dunrobin Castle station.
The Duke of Sutherland Monument stands above Golspie, to its north west, on Ben Bhraggie. It is a monument to George Leveson-Gower, 1st Duke of Sutherland, whose seat was at Dunrobin Castle. The duke is noted for his part in the Highland Clearances and founding of the village of Helmsdale.
| Golspie Shed|
Golspie Burn Viaduct
Dunrobin Carriage Shed
Duke of Sutherland Monument
Dunrobin Castle [Castle]
Carn Liath Broch
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Bonar Bridge (Inverness and Ross-shire Railway) to Golspie opened with stations at: Invershin, Lairg, Rogart, The Mound and Golspie.
|20/06/1870||Duke of Sutherlands Railway|
Duke of Sutherland's Railway receives Act to build from Golspie to Brora and Brora to Helmsdale. Construction began before the Act was passed.
|19/06/1871||Duke of Sutherland's Railway|
Golspie (Sutherland Railway) to Dunrobin opened, Dunrobin becomes private station for the Duke of Sutherland. West Helmsdale to Helmsdale opened. Highland Railway works line.