This is a single platform station close to Dunrobin Castle [Castle]. It is noted for its station building (really a private waiting room).
The station was briefly the southern station of the Duke of Sutherland's Railway to Helmsdale. Following incorporation of that line into the Highland Railway this became a private station in 1871 until closure in 1965.
The station building is the second, the earlier being more log cabin in nature. It was replaced with the present building in 1902, by architect Laurie Bisset. The building was near derelict, windows and doors were boarded over, when repaired for the station re-opening in 1985. This usual and fine small building is largely timber, painted black and white and has decorated gable ends at either end. There is a timber awning on posts over the platform entrance.
A disused bay platform exists to the north of the station, with a disconnected track being recently laid into it. A carriage shed, Dunrobin Carriage Shed, existed north of the station, being removed in the late 80s/early 90s. This was accessed by reversal from the bay. The Duke of Sutherland's private saloons were kept here (see entry). The locomotive was shedded at Brora and later Golspie.
The station had a signal box until 1902 when it was replaced with a ground frame located in the new station building. The box was rustic in style to match the station building. Signalling was removed in 1906.
Despite being a private passenger station for much of its life the station was a public goods station.
Dunrobin Castle itself, and its fine gardens, are to the south:Dunrobin Castle
| Dunrobin Carriage Shed|
Golspie Burn Viaduct
Dalmore Signal Box
Dunrobin Castle [Castle]
Carn Liath Broch
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/11/1870||Duke of Sutherlands Railway|
Opened from Dunrobin to West Helmsdale (at Gartymore near Helmsdale).
|19/06/1871||Duke of Sutherlands Railway|
Golspie (Sutherland Railway) to Dunrobin opened, Dunrobin becomes private station for the Duke of Sutherland. West Helmsdale to Helmsdale opened. Highland Railway works line.
|/ /1902||Duke of Sutherlands Railway|
Dunrobin station rebuilt.
|29/01/1965||Duke of Sutherlands Railway|
|30/06/1985||Duke of Sutherlands Railway|