Cathcart Junction (1886-1903)
Pollokshields East Junction (1903-)
Opened on the Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Cathcart District Railway.
This junction is formed between the Gordon Street Lines (the approach to Glasgow Central from Muirhouse South Junction [1st] opened in 1879) and the Cathcart District Railway of 1886.
There were many junction here in very close proximity.
The Gordon Street Lines met the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway immediately north of Strathbungo Junction on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway.
Pollokshields East station is to the immediate south of the junction on the Cathcart line.
With the opening of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway to Cathcart in 1903 the junction was renamed, breaking with the naming of junctions for destinations, to the more geographically correct Pollokshields East Junction.
The Gordon Street Line's original course south west is slightly altered, using the links which were put in place in 1894 when the Cathcart District Railway was extended round to Muirhouse Central Junction.
There was a goods yard to the immediate west of the junction, served from the south, for a sawmill. This became a permanent way depot latterly and fell out of use in the early 2000s.
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [GPJ]
West Street [Subway]
South Side [GB and NDR]
Other railway and industry locations
Pollokshields East Junction
Muirhouse Engineering Works
Coplawhill Tram Depot
Muirhouse North Junction
Muirhouse Central Junction
West Street Tunnel
West Street Junction [CR]
Muirhouse South Junction [1st]
Eglinton Street Tunnels
Tradeston Gasworks No 3
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|