This is an island platform station with a building, not the original which was of typical Cathcart District Railway design.
The station's signal box did not open with the line, but in 1893. It was located at the south end of the island platform. It closed in 1921.
The station is to the immediate south of Pollokshields East Junction. It has steps down from Albert Drive.
To the immediate east is the Tramway arts venue, formerly Coplawhill Tram Depot.
To the south the line dives under the former Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway.
To the west was Muirhouse North Junction and is Muirhouse Central Junction.
The station was the location of notorious murders when, on the 10th of December 1945, porter/clerk William Wright, station clerk Annie Withers and junior porter Robert Gough were shot by a gunman unknown to them. Wright raised the alarm with the signal man. Withers died before reaching the hospital and Gough died after two days at hospital. The safe was raided. Nearly a year passed before Charles Templeman Brown, a railway fireman, was arrested and tried. After serving a prison term he was to die in a road accident, curiously on the 10th of December 1960.
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [GPJ]
West Street [Subway]
South Side [GB and NDR]
South Side [CR]
Shields Road [Subway]
| Muirhouse North Junction|
Muirhouse Power Box
Coplawhill Tram Depot
Muirhouse Central Junction
Pollokshields East Junction
Muirhouse Engineering Works
Muirhouse South Junction [1st]
Muirhouse South Junction
West Street Tunnel
West Street Junction [CR]
Eglinton Street Tunnels
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/01/1917||Cathcart District Railway|
Pollokshields East and Crosshill stations closed for wartime economies.
|01/03/1919||Cathcart District Railway|
Pollokshields East re-opened.
|10/12/1945||Cathcart District Railway|
Murder at Pollokshields East.
|21/04/1976||Cathcart District Railway|
Pollokshields East station burnt down.