Dalmuir Iron Works

Location type

Works

Name and dates

Dalmuir Iron Works (1887-1911)

Description

The works of Somervail & Co, builders of steel and iron bridges, roofs and general structural works was established by Peter Alexander Somervail in 1887. Products of this company (chiefly girder bridges although lattice footbridges and roofs were also manufactured) can be found all over the railway network in Scotland.

Examples include:
Bowland (demolished for Borders Railway (Network Rail)]] re-opening, Bowshank North Bridge (same line), minor road bridge west of Dunblane on the former Callander route, Newhaven station, Forfar and Brechin Railway (including South Esk, Noran Water, 1893), Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway (Maryhill contract - 5 bridges including the bridge over the NBR, Partick contract - 19 bridges, Dumbarton contract - 21 bridges, including Bowling Swing Bridge western approach viaduct, 1893), Alloa and Kincardine Railway (33 bridges including the bridge over Dunfermline Road by Kincardine Junction, 1893), Glasgow Central Railway (bridges and subways from Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Carmyle, 1894), ...

Also other works such as the road, and later foot only, bridge over the River Tummel at Ballinluig (1891), Victoria Bridge at Dunoon West Bay (1878), Priorsford Bridge at Peebles (1905), Ruthven Bridge at Kingussie (1894), Bridge of Bogie at Huntly (1895), Victoria Bridge at Kilmarnock (1889).

The site was served by a siding making a trailing connection to the westbound line at Dalmuir [1st] station. The Forth and Clyde Canal was just to the south of the works.

The site was later the Singer Timber Yard. Possibly the last entry for the works is the Glasgow Post Office Directory of 1911.

Tags

Iron works fabricators

Aliases

Somervail and Co