Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.
Open on the Highland Main Line.
This is a two platform station. It has a station building on the up (southbound) platform with crow stepped gables, a lattice footbridge and superior timber waiting room building on the down platform. The main building has a recess in the stonework, on the platform side, where a hand bell formerly rested, rung when trains were due. There is overall a strong resemblance to Nairn station. The buildings date from the 1890 rebuilding of the station.
The platforms have been extended (October 2018). Platforms were extended in timber at the south end during the Great War as long trains called here, many local hotels being used for convalescence. These timber extensions have been removed.
There is a cast iron drinking fountain on the up platform, similar to those at Dalmally and formerly at Strathyre. (This is not the Strathyre fountain, which remains in that village.)
There was a goods yard on the east side of the line at the north end, opposite a pair of sidings on the west side. The last remaining siding on the east side was latterly reduced to a permanent way siding before removal.
The station had two signal boxes, both opened in 1882. The north box was replaced in 1911. The south box, on the west side at the south end of the loop, was closed in 1919. The north box took over.
The remaining north signal box ('A' listed and located at the north end of the northbound platform) controlled the loop and occupational level crossing at the north end (this LC closed 2017). The remaining box closed in 2019, with signalling passing to Stanley Junction signal box.
The main station building is now a bookshop. Pitlochry Station Bookshop
The line is supported and promoted by the Highland Main Line Community Partnership .
Black Island Platform
Dunkeld and Birnam
Other railway and industry locations
Pitlochry Fish Ladder
Pitlochry Festival Theatre
Blair Athol Distillery
Linn of Tummel Waterfall
The Soldier^s Leap
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/06/1863||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Dunkeld to Pitlochry opened. Dunkeld (Perth and Dunkeld Railway) becomes a through station (the north wall of the overall trainshed was removed).
|09/09/1863||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Line opened from Pitlochry to Aviemore, thus throughout from Inverness to Perth.
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2