Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Station code: DFE National Rail
This is a two platform station with the main station building on the northbound platform. The building is a stone built single storey with a canopy over the entrance. A flat roofed platform canopy runs the full length of the building. Opposite is a modern brick shelter. There are car parks on either side of the station.
The station replaced the 1877 Dunfermline (Comely Park), which was essentially on the same site aligned a little further east. This was a three platform station - two mainline platforms, the up platform being an island with another face. There was a goods yard on the north side, approached by reversal. The third platform is abandoned and the goods yard is now a car park.
The signal box was at the east end of the main station building. It opened on the existing 1866 line in 1877 with the opening of Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway from Charlestown Junction (a little way south west of the station) to North Queensferry [1st].
The box closed in 1978.
To the west of the station is Woodmill Viaduct.
Dunfermline Queen Margaret is to the north east serving the hospital of the same name and new housing estates nearby.
Dunfermline (Upper) (1849-1968) was to the north on the closed route west via Oakley to Alloa.
Dunfermline [1st] (1833-1834)) was the terminus of the Elgin Railway. Dunfermline Netherton (1834-1863) was its replacement nearby.
Dunfermline Abbey is about half a mile to the west.
Dunfermline (Comely Park)
Dunfermline Queen Margaret
| Woodmill Viaduct|
St Leonard's Works (Linen Damask)
Dunfermline Tram Depot
Dunfermline Gas Works
Tower Burn Viaduct
Elbowend Junction [1st]
Touch North Junction
Touch South Junction
Dunfermline Carnegie Library
Dunfermline Abbey and Palace
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|07/07/1930||Kincardine Line (North British Railway)|
Alloa [1st] (Kincardine Junction) to Dunfermline Lower via Culross closed to passengers.