Coltness Iron Works

Location type

Works


Name and dates

Coltness Iron Works (1839-1970)

Served by the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.

Served by the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.

Served by the Coltness Iron Works Railway.

Served by the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway).


Description

Established by Henry Houldsworth (1770-1853) in 1839.
After the Wishaw and Coltness Railway was extended it was served by private railway to reach the south end of the works from Stirling Road Junction.

The private railway, Coltness Iron Works Railway, extended over a large area serving a number of mines in addition to the iron works.

Later further connections reached the works from the north, controlled by Coltness Iron Works Signal Box.

An area at the southern part of the works became a concrete works, Coltness Cement Works.


Tags

Iron works

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67