Coltness Iron Works Signal Box (1889-1941)
Opened on the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
This junction was to the north of the Coltness Iron Works. Both the Caledonian Railway and the North British Railway had a connection to the Coltness Iron Works Railway here and this box controlled the junction between the two railway companies. The signal box was provided by the NB.
The Caley arrived first in 1864 with a curve from the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway) close by Newmains station. The NB arrived with a branch opened in 1890 from the former Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
The connection was in the north of the works. By running down the west side on the works own railway the exchange sidings (a series of sidings approached from the south) at the south end of the works could be reached. To the south of this area the slag processing area was to become the Coltness Cement Works. These would keep the railway open after the closure of the blast furnaces in 1927.
The Caley line closed around 1947 to the north and 1951 to the south. The NB line was closed slightly later. The box had closed in 1941.
Nothing remains here.
Other railway and industry locations
Newmains Signal Box
Chapel Colliery [Newmains]
Coltness Colliery Bailliesmuir Pit No 1
Coltness Iron Works
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Coltness Cement Works
Allanton Brick and Tile Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Lanarkshire's Lost Railways
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
|The Monkland & Kirkintilloch and associated railways|
Vanished Railways of West Lothian