This line is open. It became part of the London and North Western Railway. The line famously crosses Shap Summit.
|/ /||Lancaster and Carlisle Railway|
Takes over the Lancaster Canal, and thus the Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway. Services to the south from Lancaster Penny Lane diverted to Lancaster Castle.
|/ /1846||Lancaster and Carlisle Railway|
|09/06/1862||Eden Valley Railway|
Opened from Kirkby Stephen (South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway) to Clifton (just south of Penrith on the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway, the junction originally faced south). Engineer: Thomas Bouch.
|/ /1868||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)|
An agreement with the London and North Western Railway is reached over use of the Ingleton Branch (Lancaster and Carlisle Railway) and Lancaster and Carlisle Railway by the Midland Railway. The route would involve the North Western Railway. The Midland Railway tries to abandon the Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway). The North British Railway and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway block the abandonment.
|/ /1888||Lancaster and Carlisle Railway|
Involved in the railway races to Edinburgh!
|/ /1900||Eden Valley Railway|
Clifton Junction closed on opening of north facing junction with the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway at Eden Valley Junction.
|/ /1970||Caledonian Railway
Lancaster and Carlisle Railway
Lancaster and Preston JunctionRailway
Preston and Wigan Railway
Wigan Branch Railway
Warrington and Newton Railway
Grand Junction Railway|
Weaver Junction (south of Warrington) to Glasgow electrification authorised.
|06/05/1974||Lancaster and Carlisle Railway
Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway
Preston and Wigan Railway|
Electric services begin.
These locations are along the line.
This was the junction between the approach to the original Lancaster [1st] terminus of 1840 and the extension north by the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway of 1846 which left the old terminus on a short branch.
This is a five platform station.
Date of change of name assumed.
This was a sizeable junction station. The line remains open but the station is long gone, closing in 1968. Little remains of the station other than an open area.
This is a major station in the north west of England. ...More details
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The Lake Counties v. 14 (Regional Railway History)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways