This line is closed. A short section of track has been re-layed at Kirkby Stephen to the north of the station site. There is a hope to open the station (the main building remains intact) and the Eden Valley Railway through to Appleby.
|/03/1861||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Barnard Castle to Barras opened.
|/08/1861||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Tebay to Barras opened. Line opened throughout.
|09/06/1862||Eden Valley Railway|
Opened from Kirkby Stephen (South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway) to Clifton [Moor] (just south of Penrith on the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway, the junction giving access to the south). Engineer: Thomas Bouch.
|30/06/1862||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Absorbed by Stockton and Darlington Railway.
|/ /1874||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Much of route between Tebay and Barnard Castle doubled. The whole of the route between Kirkby Stephen and Barnard Castle was doubled - this involved the re-construction of a number of viaducts which were built next to the original ones.
|/ /1952||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Tebay to Kirkby Stephen closed to passengers. Diverted (and tour) passenger trains still use the route. Passenger trains continue to use the Eden Valley Railway from Penrith to Kirkby Stephen and continue to Barnard Castle.
|/ /1961||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Tebay to Kirkby Stephen closed.
|22/01/1962||Eden Valley RailwaySouth Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Barnard Castle [2nd] to Kirkby Stephen East to Penrith (Eden Valley Junction) closed to passengers.
|22/01/1962||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Hartley (excluded) to Barnard Castle (Tees Valley Junction) (excluded) closed completely.
|/ /1963||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Belah viaduct, on Kirkby Stephen to Barnard Castle line, demolished for scrap - poem found in a support column.
|/ /1970||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Hartley to Kirkby Stephen closed completely.
These locations are along the line.
This station closed in 1962. It is partly preserved and restored with a short length of track and is now a Heritage Centre
This was a single platform station, the platform being on the south side of the line. The railway was single track and there was a passing loop at the station, east of the platform. The loop was on the north side of the main track.