Opened on the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway.
This was a sizeable junction station. The line remains open but the station is long gone, closing in 1968. Little remains of the station other than an open area.
For the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway this was an intermediary station opening in 1852 serving a small town. With the opening of the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway in 1861 it became a junction station.
It grew to have two locomotive sheds, a trainshed over the branch platform and exchange sidings.
The branch closed completely in 1962 and the station in 1968.
Low Gill [2nd]
Low Gill [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Shap Pink Granite Quarry
Shap Granite Works
Smardale Gill Viaduct
Crosby Garrett Viaduct
Crosby Garrett Tunnel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The Lake Counties v. 14 (Regional Railway History)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways