Also known as the North Tyne Railway as it runs by the River North Tyne for much of its length. This line is closed. The first portion of the line was opened while still independent of the North British Railway. There are occasional rumours of the re-opening of the Border Union Railway to Riccarton Junction from Carlisle and then the Border Counties Railway to Kielder in connection with the Kielder forestry. The line between Kielder and Falstone is now under the waters of the Kielder Water reservoir. The vast majority of stations had a single platform with a goods loop.
|/ /1854||Border Counties Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1860||Border Counties RailwayNorth British Railway|
Border Counties Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
|/ /1862||Plashetts Colliery Waggonway|
The Plashetts Coal and Coke Company opens a drift mine by the Belling Burn with cottages at Seldom Seen. A waggonway was built from the colliery to Plashetts station on the Border Counties Railway.
|/07/1862||Border Counties Railway|
|/ /1864||Border Counties RailwayNewcastle and Carlisle Railway|
First train runs from Newcastle Central to Riccarton Junction.
|/ /1865||Wansbeck Railway|
Extended from Knowe's Gate to Reedsmouth (Border Counties Railway).
|/12/1944||Border Counties Railway|
Saughtree station closed.
|/08/1948||Border Counties Railway|
Saughtree station re-opened.
|15/10/1956||Border Counties Railway|
Riccarton Junction to Hexham (Border Counties Junction) closed to passengers.
|01/09/1958||Border Counties Railway|
Riccarton Junction (excluded) to Bellingham (excluded) closed to freight.
|01/09/1958||Border Counties Railway|
Reedsmouth (excluded) to Border Counties Junction closed to freight.
|11/11/1963||Border Counties Railway|
Bellingham (North Tyne) to Reedsmouth closed completely.
These locations are along the line.
This was an important location in Scottish railway history. This was a large station, junction, locomotive shed, workshops, yard and railway owned village all built at a remote location in the Scottish Borders with no road access. It is a highly evocative location built on the famous former Waverley Route. Here the double track mainline from Edinburgh and Hawick, to the north, split to run ...More details
This was a single platform station just under a mile north of the small settlement at Saughtree.
Deadwater station was named for area to the east, Deadwater Moor, the Deadwater Burn and Deadwater Farm. The River North Tyne begins here and the line follows its course south east. To the north the line begins a climb to Saughtree.
This station was built for the Duke of Northumberland whose Kielder Lodge (known as Kielder Castle) was just to the east. The station had a single platform on a loop on the east side of the line and, to the south of the loop, a siding serving a coal depot. The platform was short. The Duke had a shed for his connecting coach here.
This is a single track seven arch masonry viaduct. The arches are skewed. It crossed the Deadwater Burn. The parapet resembles battlements, even featuring arrow-loops. There are crosses at the top of the piers, on the spandrels.
This halt was opened in connection with the Forestry Commission^s purchase of the Kielder Estate from the Duke of Northumberland in 1932. The Ministry of Labour created a ^Civilian Instructional Camp^ on the south bank of the River North Tyne for men assigned to the planting of the Kielder Forest. There were also temporary summer camps such as Whickhope Camp.
This was a single platform station with a group of siding serving the Plashetts Colliery.
This station is in the north of Falstone, a small village in the shadow of the dam for the Kielder Water reservoir. The station had a single platform on the east side of a passing loop with sidings at either end of the platform line.It had a two storey stone station building and signal box, both typical of the line, on the platform (the box to south). The box opened in 1893.
This station was a single platform line on the south side of the line, with a wooden building. To the west, over a level crossing, was a railway cottage on the north side of the line.
This was a single platform station with a stone built building combined with a railway cottage. At the east end was a siding on the south side of the line, approached from the west, which reached a loading bank by reversal. The station was signalled.
This was a temporary terminus of the line while construction continued to the west. It was to the south of Charlton Farm and north of the River North Tyne. It consisted of just a temporary platform and hut.
This was a single platform station to the east of Bellingham. The platform was on the south side of the line with a two storey station building.
Also known as Reedsmouth Junction, this was a three platform junction station to the east of Redesmouth House. The small village of Redesmouth, largely railway cottages, developed by the station. The station was just east of the confluence of the River Rede and the River North Tyne.
This was a two platform station with a long passing loop. The line opened in 1859 and the station opened to passengers in 1860. The station building, stone built and of two storeys, was on the northbound platform and there was a goods siding on the west side, approached from the north, serving a loading bank. This was equipped with a non rail served goods shed. The stone signal box (1893) was at ...More details
This was a single platform station north of the village of Barrasford. The platform was on the village (south) side of the line. The building was stone and largely single storey with a central two storey portion.
This was a single platform station with a goods yard to the south. The village of Chollerton is to the north east.
This was a single platform station, with the platform on the west side of the line. Chollerford itself is on the west bank of the River North Tyne, the station being on the east bank, and Humshaugh is a little further beyond at half a mile.
This was a single platform station with a long passing loop. The platform was on the east side of the loop, the village side. Wall itself was just under half a mile to the north. The River North Tyne was just to the west.
This was the junction for the siding to Acomb Colliery. This was the second line to this colliery, following the same course as the older original tramway which had joined the line to the south (Acomb Colliery Junction [1st]), to be approached from the south. The new connection was approached from the north.
This was the junction between the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway (opened here in 1836), the Border Counties Railway (opened here in 1858) and the Hexham and Allendale Railway (opened here in 1867. All three of these lines were opened in portions.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Counties Railway Through Time
Border Country Branch Line Album
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Hexham to Hawick: The Border Counties Railway (Country Railway Routes)
The Border Counties Railway Steam Memories 1950's-1960's: Newcastle to Reedsmouth No. 68, pt. 1