Opened on the Border Counties Railway.
This was a single platform station just under a mile north of the small settlement at Saughtree.
The platform was on the south side of the line with a fine station building presenting one storey to the platform. A signal box was at the east end of the platform, removed by 1915.
There was a goods siding, with loading bank, to the north, approached from the east.
The line crossed high remote moorland used largely for sheep farming to both east and west.
To the east was Dawstonburn Viaduct, which was built for two lines, but only the westbound line was ever laid. The next station east, Deadwater was over the border an into England.
To the west was the huge Catscleuch Culvert near Riccarton Junction.
The station closed to passengers between 1944 and 1948 and ultimately closed in 1956. The line was lifted and Dawstonburn Viaduct demolished.
The station building is now a house. A portion of line has been relaid privately by the owner from just west of the former station to demolished viaduct. A railway cottage to the west of the building has been converted into locomotive shed and a siding, approaching it from the west, is laid into the shed. A privately owned locomotive operates.
The station offers accommodation Saughtree Station B&B
The line is walkable in both directions from the station.
Other railway and industry locations
Riccarton Shed [2nd]
Riccarton Railway Village
Riccarton Shed [1st]
Thorlieshope Lime Quarry
Thorlieshope Lime Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/12/1944||Border Counties Railway|
Saughtree station closed.
|/08/1948||Border Counties Railway|
Saughtree station re-opened.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Counties Railway Through Time
Border Country Branch Line Album
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Hexham to Hawick: The Border Counties Railway (Country Railway Routes)