Deadwater

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Deadwater (1880-1956)

Opened on the Border Counties Railway.


Description

Deadwater station was named for area to the east, Deadwater Moor, the Deadwater Burn and Deadwater Farm. The River North Tyne begins here and the line follows its course south east. To the north the line begins a climb to Saughtree.

The station opened in 1880, some time after the line opened in 1862. It had a single platform, on the east side of the line and a single storey stone built station building. Opposite the platform was a goods siding which was approached from the south.

There had been some limited industry here. From the goods siding a line ran north west and then west to Fairloans Quarry. Half a mile north another siding ran to the west to serve the Thorlieshope Lime Works whose disused limekiln still stands.

Just to the north of the station was the Scotland/England border, the sign from which can now be found at the National Railway Museum York. The Border came from Hawkhope Hope off to the west to meet the railway, then ran north from close to the station north along the railway for a quarter of a mile before striking off east.

No village developed. The station closed in 1956, two years before line closure in 1958. The station building, now a house, and platform remain.

The trackbed is walkable to both north and south.

Local

Deadwater was the unlikely site for a well and bathing house, both to the north west of the station. In use in the 1820s they were out of use by the time the railway opened.

The Wheel Causeway runs nearby and the Kielder Stane Walk runs south east along the former railway to Kielder.

05/11/2018

Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map