Opened on the Border Counties Railway.
This was a single platform station with a stone built building combined with a railway cottage. At the east end was a siding on the south side of the line, approached from the west, which reached a loading bank by reversal. The station was signalled.
To the west the line crossed Tarset Viaduct over the Tarset Burn. This skewed viaduct was built to carry two lines although only the westbound was ever laid.
Tarset Hall is to the west of the former station. The earthworks of the remains of Tarset Castle are to the west on the north side of the line. The nearby road bridges over the River North Tyne and Tarsett Burn are newer than the railway, demonstrating the great advantage the railway held over the road when opened.
The line closed to passengers in 1956 and completely in 1958.
The station building is now a house.
Bellingham (North Tyne)
Ray House (Halt)
Other railway and industry locations
Thorneyburn Coal Siding
Belling Crags Quarry
Far Colliery (Plashetts Colliery)
Seldom Seen Pit (Plashetts Colliery)
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Counties Railway Through Time
Border Country Branch Line Album
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Hexham to Hawick: The Border Counties Railway (Country Railway Routes)