Alloa Railway

Introduction

This line is closed. It had a bridge over the River Forth, often referred to as the Other Forth Railway Bridge. The bridge had a central span which was turned by a steam engine to allow shipping to pass. The bridge is now demolished although the piers remain in place. Today the nearest stations are at Stirling and Larbert.





Dates

11/08/1879Alloa Railway
Authorised to build a line from the South Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway), a swing bridge, Alloa Bridge, over the River Forth and line into Alloa.
  /  /1880Alloa Railway
The Alloa Railway agrees to its working by the Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1883Alloa Railway
Agreement that the Caledonian Railway, which was to work the Alloa Railway, would have access to Alloa [1st] station from Alloa West Junction. Authorisation given for line between Longcarse Junction and Alloa West Junction.
  /  /1883Alloa Railway
The North British Railway withdraws its proposed Larbert and Cambus Line. It is granted running powers over the Alloa Railway in exchange for Caledonian Railway running powers to Alloa from Longcarse Junction (not Alloa West Junction?).
27/04/1883North British Railway Alloa Railway South Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
North British Railway given running powers over the Alloa Railway and South Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway) from Alloa to Greenhill Junction but must guarantee a minimum of traffic worth £3000 annually.
  /  /1884Alloa Railway
Alloa Goods [CR] authorised.
14/07/1884Alloa RailwayCaledonian Railway
Alloa Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
01/10/1885Alloa Railway South Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Line from Dunmore Junction to Alloa West Junction and swing bridge, Alloa Bridge opened. Caledonian Railway trains start to use Alloa [1st] station. Dunmore Junction to South Alloa closed to passengers. Alloa Goods [CR] opened.
  /  /1902Alloa Railway
Single road timber engine shed Alloa Shed [CR] opened in Alloa Goods yard. A sub-shed of Stirling.
12/10/1904Alloa Railway
Alloa Bridge (swing) closed due to storm damage.
12/10/1904Alloa Railway
Alloa Bridge is badly damaged after being struck by the schooner ^Stirling^ resulting in the fall of a span. The Caledonian Railway is allowed to reroute its trains to Alloa via Stirling. North British Railway trains also diverted.
01/06/1905Alloa Railway
Alloa Bridge re-opened.
01/06/1905Alloa Railway
Alloa Bridge repairs complete and Caledonian Railway trains to Alloa return to their usual route.
15/08/1920Alloa Railway
Alloa Bridge (swing) closed due to storm damage.
15/08/1920Alloa Railway
A surrendered German warship broke its mooring and struck Alloa Bridge resulting in its closure between 1920 and 1921. Spans 10 and 11 were destroyed.
01/03/1921Alloa Railway
Alloa Bridge re-opened.
01/03/1921Alloa Railway
The Alloa Bridge re-opens following repairs. The bridge was rebuilt with some piers entirely replaced and additional cross bracing added.
  /  /1935Alloa Railway
Alloa Shed [CR] closed.
29/01/1968Alloa RailwaySouth Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Alloa (Alloa West Junction) to Larbert (Alloa Junction) closed to passengers. Railbuses cease crossing the Alloa Bridge.
06/05/1968Alloa Railway
Longcarse Junction (excluded) to Throsk (excluded) closed to freight.
18/05/1970Alloa Railway
Alloa West Junction (excluded) to Longcarse Junction (excluded) closed to freight.
08/02/1971Alloa Railway
Demolition of Alloa Bridge.
  /  /1978RNAD Bandeath
Military base by Throsk closed. It was served by the Alloa Railway. The works had an internal railway system. It is now an industrial estate.
01/04/1978Alloa RailwaySouth Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Throsk to Dunmore Junction to Alloa Junction closed to freight.
  /  /1983Alloa Railway
Alloa New Yard (excluded) to Longcarse Junction (reverse) to Alloa West Goods coal yard closed. (Alternative date).

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Dunmore Junction to Alloa

Dunmore Junction to Alloa [CR].

This was a double track junction with the brick built N1 style signal box on the west side. It opened in 1885 when the Alloa Railway extended the South Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway) to Alloa (Alloa West Junction and Alloa Goods [CR] over the Alloa Bridge. The terminus at South Alloa closed to passengers.
...

More details

See also
South Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway)


Throsk was a two platform minimal station to the south of Alloa Bridge. It opened in 1890, shortly after the railway opened in 1885. Platforms were in brick and there was minimal shelters on each.
...

More details
J35 0-6-0 64523 brings an up goods off Alloa swing bridge through Throsk station on 19 April 1952. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 19/04/1952
View south over the former Throsk station towards Dunmore Junction in 1993. This was a two platform station. Behind the camera the line continued over ...
Ewan Crawford //1993
Just north of Throsk station was the signal box controlling the approach to Alloa Bridge where the double line dropped to single. To the left was the ...
Ewan Crawford //1993
Ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T no 55238 calls at Throsk on 19 April 1952 with a Larbert - Alloa train. Photographed from a point alongside the signal box at the ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 19/04/1952
4 of 8 images. more


This was a single track viaduct over the River Forth with a central swing section.
...

More details
The base of a removed signal just north of Alloa Bridge (in the background) seen in 1993. ...
Ewan Crawford //1993
View north of the gently curving southern end of the Alloa Bridge in 1993. The southern part of the River Forth is largely mudflats with the navigable ...
Ewan Crawford //1993
View south through the surviving piers of Alloa swing bridge on 12 November 2011. ...
Grant Robertson 12/11/2011
View south across the Forth towards Throsk at dusk on 12 November 2011 with the piers of the old swing bridge reflected in the still waters. ...
Grant Robertson 12/11/2011
4 of 18 images. more


This timber built signal box controlled the northern approach to Alloa Bridge (Alloa swing bridge over the River Forth). The box was on the west side of the embankment just north of the bridge.
...

More details
This was the view south in 1993 at the site of Forth Bridge Signal Box looking to Alloa Bridge. The box controlled the northern approach, the line ...
Ewan Crawford //1993
1 of 1 images.


This junction was north of the Alloa Bridge (the swing bridge over the River Forth). This was initially the junction between the Caledonian Railway^s 1885 Alloa Railway line running to the goods terminus near the harbour in Alloa and its connection to Alloa West Junction where the line joined the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway allowing use of Alloa [1st] station. The ...

More details

See also
Alloa Marshalling Yard (British Railways)
Longcarse Junction. This was a double track passenger railway. To the left were the routes to Alloa and Alloa Marshalling Yard and to the right the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Longcarse Junction looking south to the other Forth Bridge. The site was latterly used as a reversing spur to reach Alloa West Coal Yard from the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Looking south across acres of ploughed field (well.. a lot) in April 2006 at the embankment running towards Alloa swing bridge in the distance. The ...
John Furnevel 27/04/2006
Aha - this must be the right path! Remains of Longcarse Junction on the route south from Alloa towards the Forth during the search for the old ...
John Furnevel 27/04/2006
4 of 4 images.


This was a long single road locomotive shed west of Alloa Goods [CR] on the south side of the line as it approached the goods terminus from Longcarse Junction. Approach was from the west.
...

More details




This goods station was the terminus of the Alloa Railway. It was located just to the north of the Alloa glass factory close to the harbour.
...

More details
Trackbed of the line looking east approaching Alloa (CR). The indentations of the sleepers were still visible. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
1 of 1 images.





RNAD Bandeath Branch

A short branch from Throsk served the RNAD Bandeath site.

Throsk was a two platform minimal station to the south of Alloa Bridge. It opened in 1890, shortly after the railway opened in 1885. Platforms were in brick and there was minimal shelters on each.
...

More details
J35 0-6-0 64523 brings an up goods off Alloa swing bridge through Throsk station on 19 April 1952. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 19/04/1952
View south over the former Throsk station towards Dunmore Junction in 1993. This was a two platform station. Behind the camera the line continued over ...
Ewan Crawford //1993
Just north of Throsk station was the signal box controlling the approach to Alloa Bridge where the double line dropped to single. To the left was the ...
Ewan Crawford //1993
Ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T no 55238 calls at Throsk on 19 April 1952 with a Larbert - Alloa train. Photographed from a point alongside the signal box at the ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 19/04/1952
4 of 8 images. more


RNAD Bandeath still retains quite a lot of track work as can be seen in this westwards view along the southern most line of sheds on 20 August 2019. ...
B A Cairns 20/08/2019
Rails remain in the level crossings within the Bandeath Depot. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Rails remain in parts within the Bandeath Depot near Throsk. ...
Ewan Crawford //
3 of 3 images.





Longcarse Junction to Alloa West Junction

The Longcarse Junction to Alloa West Junction section gave access to the North British^s Alloa station.

This junction was north of the Alloa Bridge (the swing bridge over the River Forth). This was initially the junction between the Caledonian Railway^s 1885 Alloa Railway line running to the goods terminus near the harbour in Alloa and its connection to Alloa West Junction where the line joined the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway allowing use of Alloa [1st] station. The ...

More details

See also
Alloa Marshalling Yard (British Railways)
Longcarse Junction. This was a double track passenger railway. To the left were the routes to Alloa and Alloa Marshalling Yard and to the right the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Longcarse Junction looking south to the other Forth Bridge. The site was latterly used as a reversing spur to reach Alloa West Coal Yard from the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Looking south across acres of ploughed field (well.. a lot) in April 2006 at the embankment running towards Alloa swing bridge in the distance. The ...
John Furnevel 27/04/2006
Aha - this must be the right path! Remains of Longcarse Junction on the route south from Alloa towards the Forth during the search for the old ...
John Furnevel 27/04/2006
4 of 4 images.


This was the junction between the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway of 1852 and the Alloa West to Longcarse (North British Railway) of 1885 which connected to the Alloa Railway. This was a junction between two double track lines immediately west of a level crossing (^Grange Crossing^).
...

More details

See also
Stirling and Dunfermline Railway
Alloa Marshalling Yard (British Railways)
Looking west from the crossing. The signalbox was to the left of this once double track mainline. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/11/2006
West Coast Railways Class 47 “Chris Fudge” (formerly 47 747) passes the site of the former Alloa West level crossing on the rear of the ...
Mark Dufton 14/05/2017
Looking west to Alloa West level crossing. Sorting the drainage before putting down the ballast. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/11/2006
New footbridge at (the former) Alloa West LC. ...
Ewan Crawford 01/09/2007
4 of 39 images. more