News - St andrews




Contact the news and picture editor. Twitter feed    RSS Feed

Themes   COVID-19   HS2   Kerr's Miniature Railway   Cairngorm Mountain Railway   ScotRail   Caledonian Sleeper   Jacobite   Borders Railway   Weather   Storm Alex   Electrification   Edinburgh Trams   Network Rail   Kintore   Dunfermline   Kincardine   Alloa   New station   Progress Rail Services   Stirling   

A list of options to improve transport links to and from St Andrews is to be considered in more detail after the case for change was approved by Transport Scotland.
(Permalink) Reopening St Andrews Transport Scotland

A new report published today [8 Dec] by local rail campaigns and Green MSP Mark Ruskell has called for Fife Council and the Scottish Government to back an ambitious rail reopening strategy for Fife.

The ground-breaking report entitled Breaking The Circle has been jointly produced by the Levenmouth Rail Campaign, the Newburgh Train Station Campaign, the St Andrews Rail Link Campaign (StARlink), Alloa Community Council, David Prescott of Allan Rail Solutions and Mr Ruskell, and represents a united front towards a Fife-wide rail enhancement strategy.
(Permalink) Alloa Dunfermline Levenmouth Newburgh St Andrews

Trains will run on the Borders railway for the first time in more than 40 years when the Edinburgh Waverley to Tweedbank service resumes on Sunday.
The reopening has given hope to other rail campaigners across Scotland, including those who want to see the lines to Levenmouth and St Andrews reopened.
BBC Scotland transport correspondent David Miller has been to Fife to find out more about the campaign.
(Permalink) Borders Railway Levenmouth St Andrews


Leuchars: Formerly Leuchars Junction, the current Leuchars Station is seen looking north on 19 May 2005. The infilled bay was used by trains serving St Andrews and the Fife coast route. The St Andrews branch finally closed in 1969.
John Furnevel 19/05/2005


St Andrews [2nd]: View east towards the site of St Andrews station (1887-1969) in the spring of 2011. Station road on the left now leads up to the recently rebuilt bus station, with Hope Park Church spire standing in the background. The 1865 church saw the railway station (the town's second) come and go, pre-dating it by 22 years. See image [[34565]]
Andrew Wilson 30/05/2011


St Andrews [2nd]: J37 No 64569 meets a photographic scrum at the south end of St Andrews station during the 1965 RCTS Fife Coast railtour. The J37 had taken over from No 256 Glen Douglas at Leuchars Junction and took the train round the Fife Coast line before handing back to no 256 at Thornton Junction.
G W Robin 28/08/1965

COMMUTERS on Scotlandís busiest rail line will suffer six weeks of disruption this summer, in the first big test for ScotRailís new Dutch operator, Abellio.
Part of the main Edinburgh-Glasgow route will be closed from 13 June to 27 July, which coincides with tens of thousands of fans heading for the Open golf at St Andrews.
The Winchburgh tunnel in West Lothian is being closed as part of the £750 million electrification of the line to enable faster and longer trains to run.
(Permalink) Abellio ScotRail St Andrews


Dalmeny: The Forth Bridge lines are carrying at least 7 passenger services an hour each way, so when the loops at Dalmeny are used for reversing trains during occasional diversions of Edinburgh - Glasgow services things can get busy, even with the interloper service reduced to half-hourly.  Four abreast here on 17 October are, left to right:  in the Down Loop a service from Edinburgh waiting for access to the Winchburgh Junction line for Glasgow; an unidentified train bound for the Forth Bridge; a local which has just left Dalmeny station (in background); in the Up Loop a service from Glasgow during a long wait to access the Edinburgh line.
David Panton 17/10/2009


Winchburgh Junction: An Eastbound train passing Winchburgh Junction.
Ewan Crawford //


Dalmeny Junction: A type 2 passes Dalmeny Junction signal box with a northbound freight heading for the Forth Bridge in 1971. The branch from South Queensferry came in behind the box and the line round to Winchburgh Junction is on the right.
John Furnevel 11/11/1971

A campaigner, who wants St Andrews linked to the national rail network, has said interest from professional bodies has brought the line a step closer to reality. Following the report commissioned earlier this year by the St Andrews Rail Link group, known as Starlink, the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport held an event to hear about the £70m proposals. If the group's 23-year campaign was to see the station become a reality, the town would be attached to the East Coast Main Line between Leuchars and Cupar with a 7.7km diversion in place. Trains would be able to run to Dundee in 20 minutes, and Edinburgh in around one hour and 20 minutes. [From John Yellowlees]
(Permalink) St Andrews


Leuchars: Formerly Leuchars Junction, the current Leuchars Station is seen looking north on 19 May 2005. The infilled bay was used by trains serving St Andrews and the Fife coast route. The St Andrews branch finally closed in 1969.
John Furnevel 19/05/2005


St Andrews [2nd]: View east towards the site of St Andrews station (1887-1969) in the spring of 2011. Station road on the left now leads up to the recently rebuilt bus station, with Hope Park Church spire standing in the background. The 1865 church saw the railway station (the town's second) come and go, pre-dating it by 22 years. See image [[34565]]
Andrew Wilson 30/05/2011


St Andrews [2nd]: The western approach to St Andrews station seen from a DMU in the early summer of 1967, two years before the line's closure. This was the second St Andrews station with the first, a short distance north west of here, replaced in 1887 when the line from Leuchars was extended south. Buses are visible at the top of Station Road with the spire of Hope Park Church beyond. For the same view 44 years later see image [[34391]]
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1967

A talk on the above will take place in Dundee on 20 November, to which all are welcome. For details see panel alongside.
(Permalink) St Andrews

Supporters of the campaign to reconnect St Andrews to the rail network have been buoyed by the response to a recently published feasability study, which is currently out for public consultation.


(Permalink) St Andrews


Guard Bridge Viaduct: Surviving piers of the railway bridge that carried the line between Leuchars Junction and St Andrews over the River Eden. Seen here in May 2005 looking north west across the estuary back towards Leuchars.
John Furnevel 19/05/2005


Buchanan Street: Stanier Black 5 no 45468, immaculately turned out by St Rollox shed, takes the 'Fife Coast Express' out of Buchanan Street in 1959 at the commencement of its cross-country journey to St Andrews see image [[34385]]. Even the signalman seems impressed.
Gordon Smith Collection (Courtesy Ken Browne) //1959


St Andrews [2nd]: The western approach to St Andrews station seen from a DMU in the early summer of 1967, two years before the line's closure. This was the second St Andrews station with the first, a short distance north west of here, replaced in 1887 when the line from Leuchars was extended south. Buses are visible at the top of Station Road with the spire of Hope Park Church beyond. For the same view 44 years later see image [[34391]]
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1967

Campaigners calling for the restoration of a direct rail link to St Andrews have welcomed a new report suggesting the line could be reinstated for £76m.

Lobby group Starlink have said that an hourly service, introduced between the Fife town and Edinburgh, would pay for itself.

They maintain that a rail link would help boost the town's tourism numbers and reduce traffic on the A91.

The line to St Andrews was closed in 1969.
(Permalink) St Andrews


Leuchars: Formerly Leuchars Junction, the current Leuchars Station is seen looking north on 19 May 2005. The infilled bay was used by trains serving St Andrews and the Fife coast route. The St Andrews branch finally closed in 1969.
John Furnevel 19/05/2005


St Andrews [2nd]: J37 No 64569 meets a photographic scrum at the south end of St Andrews station during the 1965 RCTS Fife Coast railtour. The J37 had taken over from No 256 Glen Douglas at Leuchars Junction and took the train round the Fife Coast line before handing back to no 256 at Thornton Junction.
G W Robin 28/08/1965


St Andrews [2nd]: The western approach to St Andrews station seen from a DMU in the early summer of 1967, two years before the line's closure. This was the second St Andrews station with the first, a short distance north west of here, replaced in 1887 when the line from Leuchars was extended south. Buses are visible at the top of Station Road with the spire of Hope Park Church beyond. For the same view 44 years later see image [[34391]]
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1967

The Open golf championship at St Andrews brought an estimated £40m of added value to the Fife economy last year, and a further £60m to Scotland.

So, what does it have in common with the freight transport of 28 million cases of whisky, a few miles further south in Leven?
(Permalink) Levenmouth St Andrews

The latest survey carried out by the Starlink campaign has revealed more support for a rail service to St Andrews. At last week's Friends of the Byre production of 'Murder on the Fife Coast Express,' set in the 1950s, Starlink was one of the local organisations invited to exhibit in the foyer of the Byre Theatre.

(Permalink) St Andrews


Buchanan Street: Stanier Black 5 no 45468, immaculately turned out by St Rollox shed, takes the 'Fife Coast Express' out of Buchanan Street in 1959 at the commencement of its cross-country journey to St Andrews see image [[34385]]. Even the signalman seems impressed.
Gordon Smith Collection (Courtesy Ken Browne) //1959

A campaign group calling for a train station for St Andrews courts the views of Fife residents.
(Permalink) St Andrews

KML version