Winchburgh Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Winchburgh Junction (1890-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway).


This junction opened in 1890 between the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the approach to the then new Forth Bridge. It is the western end of a line which runs to Dalmeny. This was a double track junction.

The signal box was on the north side of the junction, the lines here were in a cutting and the box was at the top of the bank.

To the east, on the newer line, were Craigton Siding on the north side and Myre Siding on the south side.

The box closed in 1979 when signalling passed to the Edinburgh Signalling Centre. The line to the Forth Bridge now has a single lead junction (since at latest 1972).

The Union Canal is directly to south.