Hawick [2nd]

Location type


Name and dates

Hawick [2nd] (1862-1969)

Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


This station is closed. The station was opened to the immediate north of the Teviot Viaduct along which its platforms extended.

It replaced Hawick [1st] to the north west as the line was not able to be extended from the former terminus.

The main station building, of two storeys, was on the northbound platform. A smaller building of one storey was on the southbound platform. At the north end, on the northbound platform, was a water tank and Hawick South Signal Box. The platforms were linked by hoists at the north end and a subway. The platforms were canopied. In addition to the two main platforms there was a short dock at the north end of the northbound platform.

North of the station, between Hawick South Signal Box and Hawick North Signal Box were loops on either side of the double track. To the north of this was the turntable, relocated from Hawick Shed when the line was extended, and approached from the west. To the south was yard, an enlargement of an original much smaller yard, which grew to six dead end sidings approached from the west (with a headshunt to the west below the east side of the station). To the south of this again was a siding which ran east into Hawick Gas Works and, by reversal, approached Riversdale Mills and Eastfield Mills.

On the south bank of the River Teviot a large Auction Mart was to develop on the east side of the railway.

The signal box was modernised to see over the baggage bridge. It became a ground frame with closure to passengers, closing shortly afterwards.

After closure of the line the station in 1969, locomotive shed, goods yard, sidings and viaduct were demolished. Track survived until around 1971 and the structures remained intact until 1974. A solitary loading bank remains in the north of the station site.


Teviotdale Leisure Centre



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67