Opened on the Buckie and Portessie Branch (Highland Railway).
This was a two platform station with the main station building on the southbound platform. The station had north and south signal boxes.
The Aultmore Distillery opened in 1895, leading to the renaming of the station to Aultmore in 1899.
At the north end was a goods siding on the east side of the line and sidings for Aultmore Distillery on the west side. Both were approached from the south.
The boxes opened with it in 1884. The south box closed around 1903. The north box became a ground frame in 1907, when all signalling was removed from the line.
With the beginning of the Great War the line and station closed in 1915. Goods later resumed to Aultmore from the south, but ceased in 1917 with the Government order to close distilleries.
In 1917 track was lifted northwards to Findochty Junction at Portessie for use at Invergordon. In 1918 the line was cut back further to Crooksmill Siding.
The line was reinstated as far as Aultmore in 1919 and came back into use. Track was relaid north to Buckie [HR] in 1924, however a regular timetable was not introduced and the line remained unused until 1937 when it was dismantled from Buckie [HR] to Aultmore. At the same time the goods yard at Aultmore was lifted, although the distillery sidings remained in use.
Keith West Junction to Aultmore remained open until 1966, with some alterations to the sidings layout over the years.
A railway cottage remains on the east side of the line. A house is on the footprint of the station building. The trackbed remains partly intact running behind the houses at Aultmore.
Strathisla Mills Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Keith West Signal Box
Keith Shed [HR]
Keith North Signalbox
Keith Shed [GNSR] [1st]
Keith Shed [GNSR] [2nd]
Strathmill Distillery Siding
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|