Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Buckie and Portessie Branch (Highland Railway).
This was a shared station with the Great North of Scotland Railway. The Highland Railway owned the southern face of an island platform, the north face being the westbound line of the GNoSR. The Highland's single track from Buckie [HR] had a loop at the platform and sidings. There were water columns, the water tank being alongside the engine shed turntable.
Portessie Shed was at the east end of the station on the south side and approached from the west.
Findochty Junction, the connection between the two companies, was at the east end of both parts of the station.
At the west end of the platform with the Highland's signal box, opened in 1884 with the station.
The goods yard, a loading bank, was to the south. It was approached from the west end of the station.
For a full description see the page for Portessie [GNSR].
The Highland's line had a chequered history. It closed as an economy measure in 1915, but used as far as Buckie [HR] by the GNSR shortly afterwards. It was dismantled to Aultmore in 1918. The line was re-instated as far as Buckie [HR] by the GNSR, using HR track, in 1919. It was closed to Buckie [HR] in 1933 and was reduced to a siding as far as the east end of that station in 1937, when the box formerly closed and was replaced by hand operated points in the remaining sidings..
Eventually the line was cut back to Portessie and finally closed in 1953.
The site remains intact but very overgrown.
The trackbed is now the National Cycle Route 1 .
| Portessie Shed|
Cullen Burn Viaduct
Cullen North Deskford Street Bridge
Cullen Castle Street Viaduct
Cullen Seafield Street Viaduct
Tugnet Ice House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|