Buckie [HR] (1884-1915)
Opened on the Buckie and Portessie Branch (Highland Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This station opened in the south of Buckie, on high ground above the town and harbour. It opened in 1884, just ahead of the competing Buckie [GNSR] station of the GNoSR in 1886.
This was a single platform station on a curve. The platform was on the west side of the line. The station building was of Highland Railway design for a smaller station, typical for the line.
To the west was a goods yard, approached from the south. Access to the station was by a road from the north which served both passenger and goods stations.
The signal box was at the south end of the platform. It opened with the station in 1884 and closed in 1907, although probably retained until 1915 as a ground frame.
The station closed to passengers in 1915. By 1917 the Great North of Scotland Railway was operating a goods service over the Highland to Buckie [HR]. Some trains continued to Rathven. This ceased with the Government order to close distilleries, in 1917.
Following this also in 1917, the track was requisitioned by the Admiralty between Aultmore and Findochty Junction. The track was lifted, leaving the sidings. The lifted track was used at Invergordon.
In 1919, after the war the Highland Railway gave the Great North of Scotland Railway sufficient track for them to relay the line as far as Buckie HR, which the GNoSR then operated.
After the Grouping the LMS relaid the remainder of the line in 1924, but it was not opened to regular traffic, although the LNER continued to operate the Buckie service.
The line closed to regular traffic in 1933.
Buckie [HR] to Aultmore was lifted in 1937, the portion from Portessie [HR] remaining running to the east end of Buckie [HR] station (the station site itself being cleared).
The Buckie [HR] station building was moved to Strathlene Golf Course as the clubhouse building in 1939. (It was demolished in 1973.)
Buckie [HR] to Portessie [HR] was lifted after 1948.
Nothing remains of the station except the goods shed and stationmaster's house.
Buckie [GNSR] station was to the north. The line met the Great North of Scotland Railway line at Portessie [GNSR] station which was to the north east. The next station south was Rathven.
Other railway and industry locations
Cullen Burn Viaduct
Cullen North Deskford Street Bridge
Cullen Castle Street Viaduct
Cullen Seafield Street Viaduct
Tugnet Ice House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|