Findochty Junction (1886-1933)
Opened on the Buckie and Portessie Branch (Highland Railway).
Opened on the Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway).
This was a double track junction to the east of the Portessie [GNSR] and Portessie [HR] station where the lines from their Buckie [GNSR] and Buckie [HR], respectively, met.
The line continued a short way to the east before becoming single track, around one train length. This continued by the coast to Cullen and beyond.
To the west of Portessie [GNSR] station there was a double track line to Buckie [GNSR], where it became and a single line, and it continued by the coast to Garmouth and Elgin [East].
Also to the west, south of that line, was the single track line to Buckie [HR] which ran on to Keith.
There were exchange sidings by the junction, to the south of the line and served from the west.
The box at the junction, Portessie, controlled the junction, goods yard, the east end of the double track through to Buckie [GNSR], and the east end of the Highland loop at Portessie [HR].
The box at the west end controlled the west end of the Highland's platform loop, access to the shed and the line to Buckie [HR].
The box and main line closed in 1968.
The formation of the junction can still be seen, although very overgrown, particularly the Highland trackbed.
The Moray Coast Trail uses the former trackbed.05/09/2019
Other railway and industry locations
Cullen Burn Viaduct
Cullen North Deskford Street Bridge
Cullen Castle Street Viaduct
Cullen Seafield Street Viaduct
Tugnet Ice House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Banff, Moray and Nairn's Lost Railways
|Moray Coast Railways|
The Travellers Joy: The Story of the Morayshire Railway