Opened on the City of Glasgow Union Railway.
Open on the Glasgow to Cumbernauld via Duke Street.
This is a suburban two platform station. There was a small minerals yard on the east side, approached from the north, now gone. The main station building, demolished, was on the northbound platform.
Sighthill Junction is to the north and Barnhill Tunnel is to the south.
At Sighthill Junction there was a connection between the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and the City of Glasgow Union Railway (on which the station stood) and a curve east to Sighthill East Junction.This latter is the connection now used for trains from Glasgow Queen Street High Level to Cumbernauld and has effectively allowed Queen Street to replace Glasgow Buchanan Street. This curve crosses Barnhill Tunnel.
To the south of the station, on the west side of the line, was a set of dead end sidings approached from the north. Access was controlled by Barnhill signal box, sandwiched between the sidings and main line. The box closed in 1913 and sidings removed.
St Rollox [2nd]
St Rollox [1st]
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Other railway and industry locations
Sighthill Goods Junction
Sighthill Yard Junction
Sighthill East Junction
St Rollox Works Shed
St Rollox Top Yard
Atlas Works [2nd]
St Rollox Goods East
Sighthill West Junction [1st]
Sighthill East Junction [1st]
Hyde Park Works [2nd]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1870||Broughty Ferry to Forfar Branch|
Opened; stations at Kingsmuir, Gagie, Kirkbuddo, Monikie, Kingennie, Barnhill.
|/ /1952||Broughty Ferry to Forfar Branch|
Barnhill renamed Barnhill (Angus).