Ballachulish and Glencoe (1905-1908)
Ballachulish (Glencoe) (1908-1966)
Opened on the Ballachulish Branch (Callander and Oban Railway).
This was a two platform terminus opened at East Laroch next to the Ballachulish Slate Quarries and their tramways. Unusually a house which predated the station ended up on the platform and now, with the station gone, still stands. The Ballachulish Medical Practise is based in the former station building.
The goods yard was to the north of the passenger station and a locomotive shed was just to the north of the yard. From the yard a siding continued to the quarries.
The name 'Ballachulish' applies to the area, generally west of the station, on both the north and south banks of Loch Etive. Ballachulish House is to the west, south of Ballachulish Ferry station. It was the station which led to West and East Laroch becoming known as the village of Ballachulish. Glen Coe is to the east.
Fort William [1st]
Loch Eil Outward Bound
Other railway and industry locations
Ballachulish Slate Quarries
West Laroch Siding
Ardsheal Quarry Siding
Ballachulish St John^s Church
Beinn a^Bheithir - Sgorr Dhonuill
Aonach Eagach - Sgorr nam Fainnaidh
Stob Coire Leith
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Callander and Oban Railway v. 4
The Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line
Trossachs and West Highlands: Exploring the Lost Railways (Local History Series)