Opened on the Ballachulish Branch (Callander and Oban Railway).
This was an island platform station, which bore a strong resemblance to stations on the West Highland Railway. Access was by a subway. The northbound platform was built on a straight alignment, to allow fast running of non-stop trains, and the southbound curved.
There was a goods yard on the east side of the line, reached by reversal from a siding at the south end of the southbound line.
The signal box closed in 1927 (when Duror also lost its loop) and loop was retained operated by ground frames. It was no longer used to allow regular passenger trains to pass each other but still provided access to the goods yard.
After many years of dereliction following closure the building and platform have been beautifully restored in recent years. The base of the watertank and loading bank also remain. Railway cottages remain nearby.
The old station, railway cottages, several cabins and caravan pitches form the Appin Holiday Homes site where accommodation is offered.
The footpath following the railway does not run through the site but along the south side of the A828.
Falls of Cruachan
Other railway and industry locations
Connel Ferry Bridge
Lag-na-Ha Quarry Siding
Port Appin Pier
Lismore Point Pier
Falls of Lora
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Callander and Oban Railway v. 4
The Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line
Trossachs and West Highlands: Exploring the Lost Railways (Local History Series)