Kentallen: An Easter 1966 view of the delightfully situated Kentallen station on the Ballachulish branch, overlooking Loch Linnhe with the mountains of Morvern beyond. In its latter years Kentallen was served by just four trains a day in each direction. The station site is now occupied by a hotel and caravan park.
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1966


Location type


Name and dates

Kentallen (1903-1966)

Opened on the Ballachulish Branch (Callander and Oban Railway).


This was a two platform station alongside a pier from which interconnecting steamers operated. The main station building was on the southbound platform and still stands in much extended form. There was a smaller shelter on the northbound platform. (The building at Duror shows a less altered version of how the main station building looked.)

There was a goods yard at the north end, on the east side of the line. The signal box opened with the line and closed with it.

The station closed in 1966.

Since closure the station has become the Holly Tree Hotel . Many period features are retained, many related documents are displayed inside and the early art deco influences on the architecture can still be seen.

The southern portion of the platforms have wooden lodges built over the infilled trackbed, some platform edges can be found. Loading banks can be found in the car park. The pier survives, in cut back form.

To the south of the station site, and across the road, are railway cottages and the former water tank.


Station pier steamers

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Nearby stations
Ballachulish Ferry
Ballachulish (Glencoe)
Barcaldine Halt
Fort William [1st]
Fort William
Loch Eil Outward Bound
Banavie Pier
Ardsheal Quarry Siding
Ardsheal Quarry
Lag-na-Ha Quarry
Lag-na-Ha Quarry
Lag-na-Ha Quarry Siding
Auchindarroch Siding
Ballachulish Bridge
Kentallen Pier
Ballachulish Pier
Ballachulish House
Beinn a^Bheithir - Sgorr Dhonuill
South Ballachulish Slip
North Ballachulish Slip
Sgorr Dearg
Corran Lighthouse
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.

Chronology Dates

  /  /1901Ballachulish Branch (Callander and Oban Railway)
Pier at Leitir Mhor authorised. (This was Kentallen Pier alongside Kentallen station.)
24/08/1903Ballachulish Branch (Callander and Oban Railway)
Line opened to passengers and goods. Stations opened at Benderloch, Creagan, Appin, Duror, Kentallen, Ballachulish Ferry, Ballachulish. For the opening Connel Ferry and Oban stations were rebuilt. Two large bridges were required Connel Ferry Bridge and Creagan Viaduct.
26/03/1966Ballachulish Branch (Callander and Oban Railway)
Line closed completely between Connel Ferry and Ballachulish (Glencoe). North Connel, Benderloch, Barcaldine Halt, Creagan, Appin, Duror, Kentallen, Ballachulish Ferry, Ballachulish (Glencoe) closed.


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line

Callander & Oban Railway Through Time

Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Callander and Oban Railway v. 4

Scotland’s Lost Branch Lines: Where Beeching Got It Wrong

The Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line

Trossachs and West Highlands: Exploring the Lost Railways (Local History Series)