This was a two platform station with a passing loop and goods yard to the west. There was a two storey station building on the southbound platform, of a style which survives largely unaltered at [[Duror],] and a large signal box which was typical of the line. The southbound line was the faster line, the northbound curving off at each end to form the loop. At the south end, on the east side of the line, was a camping coach siding.
None of the buildings have survived. The platforms remain intact and the railway is now a long distance footpath.
Nearby is a long row of railway cottages, now in private ownership.
To the west is Castle Stalker and to the north west Castle Shuna.
The name Appin refers to a large area, the station is at Portnacroish. Appin House is around a mile to the north.
Falls of Cruachan
| Creagan Viaduct|
Lag-na-Ha Quarry Siding
Port Appin Pier
Lismore Point Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|24/08/1903||Ballachulish Branch (Callander and Oban Railway)|
Line opened to passengers and goods. Stations opened at Benderloch, Creagan, Appin, Duror, Kentallen, Ballachulish Ferry, Ballachulish. For the opening Connel Ferry and Oban stations were rebuilt. Two large bridges were required Connel Ferry Bridge and Creagan Viaduct.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Callander and Oban Railway v. 4
The Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line
Trossachs and West Highlands: Exploring the Lost Railways (Local History Series)