Arrochar and Tarbet

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Arrochar and Tarbet (1894-)

Opened on the West Highland Railway.


Description

This is an island platform station, typical of the West Highland Railway. The station building was removed in the late 1990s/early 2000s after several years of being vacant. This was of the Swiss chalet style typical of the line. Access is via a subway and this also gives access to the hillside to the west. The signal box remains and a new waiting shelter in the style of a signal box has been provided. On introduction of the Sprinters the platform was lengthened at the southern end.

There is a goods yard, sometimes used for timber loading and formerly for staging the oil from Oban. This is on the east side of the line and is accessed, by reversal, from the north.

There is a stationmaster's house, typical of the line and a railwayman's cottage on either side of the entryway. Both are now private houses.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record





Books


Notice: Undefined variable: cachefile in /var/www/html/__build/bs-loc.php on line 942