Kirkland Yard and Leven Dock to Methil Line Widening (North British Railway)

Introduction

This was largely a mineral railway. For the opening of Methil Dock No 3 not only were lines for the new dock laid, but the lines between Leven and Methil were rebuilt. Kirkland Yard was laid out west of Leven [1st] and a quadruple line laid to Methil East Junction (relocated and rebuilt) where the single track bridge over the River Leven was replaced. Lines split to serve No 3 dock and to run down the west side of Methil Dock No 1 and Methil Dock No 2 to Methil West Junction. To accommodate the new line the north west corner of Methil Dock No 1 was indilled.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was a four way junction between the 1854 Leven Railway and the 1898 East Fife Central Railway and Kirkland Yard (North British Railway) (around 1910).
...

More details

See also
Leven Railway
East Fife Central Railway
A view of the Methil branch at Kirkland Yard in July 2020. This section of track was cleared of vegetation earlier in the year in preparation for the ...
Bill Roberton 20/07/2020
37240 and saloon DM45020 approach the former Kirkland Yard in November 1991 with officials from BR and Fife Regional Council to investigate reopening ...
Bill Roberton 14/11/1991
2 of 2 images.


This large yard was associated with the expansion of the docks at Methil, particularly the opening of Methil Dock No 3, and the expansion of the lines between the former Leven Railway and the Methil docks.
...

More details
Looking towards Methil Docks, from underneath the Iron Brig at Kirkland, on 26th September 2020. This is one of the few places on the branch where the ...
Bill Roberton 26/09/2020
Andrew Barclay 1890 of 1926 masquerading as Wemyss Coal Co No.10 (actually delivered to Edinburgh & Leith Gas Commissioners, Granton Gasworks) ...
Bill Roberton 03/06/2017
Ruston Hornsby no.4 (ex-North British Distillery, Edinburgh) shunts a ^shark^ brake van at Kirkland Yard, the KFRPS site. All 14 January. Thanks ...
Bill Roberton 14/01/2017
NBL 27421 of 1955, ex-RAF Leuchars No. 400, at the passenger platform with the former Norwegian State Railways guards brake van which carries visitors ...
Bill Roberton 04/06/2017
4 of 16 images. more




This junction, actually at Levenmouth, was formed in 1914 during the works to open Methil Dock No 3. Kirkland Yard was laid out to the west, a great improvement on the single track line from the Kirkland Siding reversing spur in Leven. A quadruple track was laid from the yard to Methil East Junction where there were sidings on the site of the Leven Dock and a new quadruple track ...

More details

See also
Leven Dock Railway
Leven Extension Railway (Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway)
The remains of the rail route into Methil Docks seen looking east from the A955 road bridge in the summer of 2007. The abandoned and overgrown former ...
John Furnevel 26/07/2007
37694 leaves Methil Power Station with empty coal wagons on 16th September 1992. The former docks line curves away to the right.
...
Bill Roberton 16/09/1992
37696 leaves Methil Power Station with empties. The line to the right led to the docks. ...
Bill Roberton //1992
37694 passes the River Leven with empty coal wagons from Methil Power Station on 16 September 1992.
...
Bill Roberton 16/09/1992
4 of 11 images. more




This coal slurry burning power station was located on the south bank of the River Leven at Innerleven. The site has been cleared.
...

More details
The SRPS^s Barclay 0-4-0ST Clydesmill No3 making a guest appearance at Methil Power Station open day on 28 September 1991. See image 33865 [Ref ...
Bill Roberton 28/09/1991
Methil power station and sidings in July 1991. ...
Ian Dinmore /07/1991
EE Type 1s, nos 20199+20204, stand alongside the unloading area at Methil power station in April 1983. ...
Peter Todd 07/04/1983
Oh dear, oh dear. The lifted and rapidly reverting to nature sidings at Methil power station. Home to the locomotive 26040 belonging to Jeffray ...
Ewan Crawford 02/06/2007
4 of 6 images. more


This dock was built for the export of coal. It had three coal hoists, one approached by rail from the south (on the west side), two approached from the north (one on the west side one at the north end) and a rail served quayside on the east side.
...

More details

See also
Lochs, and lakes, water
Leven Extension Railway (Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway)
An isolated portion of embedded track at Methil Docks Gate 2 level crossing, seen on 26th September 2020. This spur led to a coal merchant at the ...
Bill Roberton 26/09/2020
Looking towards Methil Docks along the disused rail connection in 1994. ...
Bill Roberton //1994
Disused sidings at Methil Docks in 1989. ...
Bill Roberton //1989
Hopelessly out of date road sign still standing at Methil on 13 September 2008. Not only has the track long gone, but resurfacing has removed any ...
David Panton 13/09/2008
4 of 8 images. more






This junction was to the south west of Methil station. The layout was altered on several occasions and the track layout was complex.
...

More details

See also
Leven Extension Railway (Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway)
WPR No.19 (Andrew Barclay No. 2067/1939) hoists another rake of mineral wagons away from the BR exchange sidings near Methil West box on 22 August ...
Bill Jamieson 22/08/1969
WPR No 19 at Methil, 1970. Bell^s box (WPR) and Methil West box behind. ...
John Furnevel 17/02/1970
WPR locomotives at Methil, 1970. Bell^s box to the right. View looking west. ...
John Furnevel 17/02/1970
Wemyss Private Railway No. 19 (Andrew Barclay No. 2067/1939) passes Methil West box with a rake of mineral wagons from the BR exchange sidings on 22 ...
Bill Jamieson 22/08/1969
4 of 10 images. more