This railway was opened between Clifton (Manchester) and Rawtenstall. The company went on to expand greatly.
In 1859 the company was absorbed by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.
The southern portion of the original line between Clifton (Manchester) and Radcliffe North Junction (both excluded) is closed.
North of Bury the line is preserved, following closure by British Railways in 1980, and re-opening in 1987 as the East Lancashire Railway.
These locations are along the line.