Hurlford: A Dumfries - Glasgow stopping train passing Hurlford on 22 May 1951. The train is hauled by Black 5 44718 and observed by a pair of well balanced young enthusiasts on the boundary fence.
Aintree Shed: Ex L&Y 2F 0-6-0 no 52378 is part of a locomotive lineup alongside Aintree shed, Liverpool, in May 1960, approximately 6 months before withdrawal.
Bidston Shed: Fowler 0-6-0T dock tank no 47166 stands on Bidston shed in May 1960.
Hurlford: Pickersgill 3F 0-6-0 no 57689 at Hurlford on 22 May 1961 with a short freight off the Darvel branch.
Hurlford: A St Enoch - Leeds express approaching Hurlford on 22 May 1961. The train is hauled by one of Holbeck's Britannia Pacifics, no 70053 Moray Firth.
Hurlford: General view of Hurlford station in the spring of 1961 looking south. Hurlford station had been officially closed to passengers in March 1955.
Hurlford: Scene at Hurlford looking south on 22 May 1961. Horwich Mogul 42905 is about to pass with a down coal train, while classmate 42834 waits in the shed sidings.
Hurlford: D3008 passing Hurlford with an up goods train on 22 May 1961. The class 08 was delivered new to nearby Hurlford shed from Derby Works in December 1952 and remained on the allocation there until the depot was eventually closed towards the end of 1966.
Hurlford Viaduct: A Leeds City - Glasgow St Enoch express crossing crossing Hurlford Viaduct, Hurlford, on 22 May 1961. The train is hauled by one of Holbeck shed's Gresley A3 Pacifics no 60092 Fairway.
Kay Park Junction: Class 2P 4-4-0 40638 passing Kay Park, Kilmarnock, on 22 May 1961 with a Darvel to Ardrossan train. [Ref query 995]
Loch Treig: Black 5 plus Standard 5 climbing to Corrour by Loch Treig in May 1961. [Ref query 4203]
Stobs Viaduct: St Margarets A3 Pacific no 60052 Prince Palatine crosses Stobs Viaduct in May 1963 with a Millerhill - Kingmoor freight.
North Water Bridge Viaduct: A special to Inverbervie, marking final closure of the branch, crosses the viaduct over the North Esk approaching North Water Bridge station on 22 May 1966 behind J37 no 64547 See image [].
North Water Bridge Halt: J37 0-6-0 no 64547 approaching North Water Bridge station on 22 May 1966 having just crossed the North Esk with a special for Inverbervie marking final closure of the branch. (Passenger services had been withdrawn in 1951). See image []
Inverbervie: J37 0-6-0 no 64547 running round at Inverbervie (Bervie until 1926) with a special on 22 May 1966 marking the complete closure of the branch. Sister locomotive 64620 had attempted to reach the terminus the previous month with Scottish Rambler no 5 but was forced to abandon the attempt 2 miles short of the town due to severe slippage.
Doncaster: Home based O4 2-8-0 no 63858 photographed on Doncaster shed on Sunday 22 May 1966. Officially withdrawn a month earlier, the locomotive was sold for scrap to W George, Station Steel, Wath, shortly after this photograph was taken.
Doncaster: Class O4 2-8-0 no 63818 stands on its home shed at Doncaster on 22 May 1966, four weeks after withdrawal, as does BR Standard class 9F 2-10-0 no 92172. Both locomotives were broken up in the scrapyard of Messrs W George, Station Steel, Wath-on-Dearne, a month later.
Doncaster: WD Austerity 2-8-0 no 90369 stabled for the weekend in the shed yard at Doncaster on Sunday 22 May 1966.
Doncaster: B1 61158 at the head of a locomotive lineup at Doncaster shed in May 1966.
Doncaster: Part of the crowded shed yard at Doncaster on a Sunday afternoon in May 1966 looking towards the coaling plant.
Doncaster: Locomotives in the shed yard at Doncaster on 22 May 1966, with BR class 9F 2-10-0 92201 nearest the camera.
Doncaster: Withdrawn BR Standard class 9F 2-10-0 no 92172 stands in the shed yard at Doncaster on 22 May 1966. Allocated here new from Crewe works in October 1958, the locomotive was broken up in the scrapyard of Messrs W George, Wath-on-Dearne, a month after this photograph was taken.
Carlisle Kingmoor MPD: Yard shunters lined up at the fuelling point alongside Carlisle Kingmoor diesel depot during a British Rail open day on 22 May 1971. Standing nearest the camera is D4141, built at Horwich in 1962. This locomotive, renumbered 08911 under TOPS, became the resident shunting locomotive at the National Railway Museum in York and was given the name Matey.
Carlisle Kingmoor MPD: A trio of EE Type 4s, with D267 nearest the camera, receiving attention inside Carlisle Kingmoor diesel depot in 1971 on the occasion of an open day.
Carlisle Kingmoor MPD: D5192 meets 7547 inside Kingmoor diesel depot in May 1971.
Carlisle Kingmoor MPD: General view of Kingmoor diesel depot from the south during an open day in May 1971. The 2-car DMU was operating a shuttle service from Carlisle station for visitors. See image []
Carlisle Kingmoor Shed: EE Type 4 no 242 passing the old Kingmoor steam shed with a southbound freight in May 1971.
Edinburgh Waverley: A Deltic awaits its departure time at Waverley at the head of a Kings Cross train in May 1972.
Huncoat Power Station: 0-6-0F Huncoat No.3 (Hawthorn 3746/1929) shunts 16T coal wagons into the tippler at Huncoat Power Station. The power station, visible on the left beyond the main line, operated from 1956 to 1984 but has since been demolished.
Huncoat Power Station: Fireless 0-6-0 Huncoat No 3 draws coal wagons from the tippler at Huncoat Power Station between Blackburn and Burnley. Not the best quality picture but it does show the conveyors that went across the mainline and an 0-4-0F, by then out of use. Prior to 1968 the power station was also supplied directly from Huncoat Colliery by a private railway.
Huncoat Power Station: Hawthorn Fireless 0-6-0F Huncoat No.3 propels loaded 16T coal wagons into one of the tipplers in the Huncoat Power Station exchange sidings in 1975, a task it must have done innumerable times in the years since the station opened in 1956. The tyres on the loco look very worn but it continued in service for several more years. The power station closed in 1984.
Huncoat Power Station: No.2 (W G Bagnall 2989/1951), a Fireless 0-4-0F, lies out of use beside the tippler building at Huncoat Power Station in May 1975, leaving work in the hands of 0-6-0F No.3. No.2 and No.1 were a pair of Bagnall 0-4-0F locos based at Huncoat both dating from 1951.
Pampisford: The 1865 station at Pampisford (which carried the name Abington until 1875) was the last on the Stour Valley line before it connected with the London-Cambridge line at Great Shelford. This is a westward view on 22nd May 1977, when it was in use as a builder's yard some 10 years after final closure. All trace of the building was later swept away as part of an A11 road improvement scheme.
Castle Cary: A class 47 stops at Castle Cary having just come off the Weymouth line heading north to Bristol in May 1985.
Castle Cary: A class 47 approaching Castle Cary with a train from Weymouth in May 1985. The train is about to join the GW main line coming in from the Taunton direction.
Castle Cary: InterCity 125 arrives at Castle Cary with a Paddington train in May 1985.
Plates, signs, notices etc: A very early act, dating from May 1811, obtained by the Berwick and Kelso Railway Company. Sadly the company was dissolved prior to any of the planned railway being built, as a result of various disagreements amongst directors regarding issues such as land purchase and the cost of the proposed bridge over the Tweed. A similar line was eventually opened by the North British Railway and the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway in 1849, but with a route along the south bank of the river, thus avoiding the need for a bridge. [Railscot note: The County of Durham refers to what were then 'exclaves' of that county located within Northumberland.]
Wooler: The former station building at Wooler in May 2004.
Farington Curve Junction: Memories of the way it used to be on the WCML with a Vigin liveried Class 87 at the head of a southbound service on the Up Slow line just south of Farington Curve Junction.
Scotsgap: View south east over the former Scotsgap station on 22 May 2004. The station closed to passengers in 1952 with the line closing completely in 1966. The refurbished station house and station building now form a substantial private residence. A section of the platform survives, while the goods yard is now used by an agricultural merchant.
Farington: A 2 car Class 175 DMU heads north towards Preston on 22 May 2004, shortly before transfer to the Wales Borders franchise.
Cupar: Smart looking signal box at Cupar in 2005.
Cupar: The imposing 1847 main station building at Cupar, photographed looking south in May 2005. The original E&NR plan was to install a level crossing here, but, thanks to the efforts of local churchman and politician David Crichton, a bridge was provided. The benefits of the bridge are particularly obvious today, not least in providing an appropriate location for the statue of the said gentleman, which can be seen on the extreme left of the picture.
Springfield: Opened by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway in 1847, Springfield serves a village with a population of less than 1,000. Located between Cupar and Ladybank, the station currently (2017) sees 3 northbound and 2 southbound stopping trains on weekdays, with no service on Sundays. Photograph taken on 22 May 2005 looking south west along the down platform. [Ref query 1676]
Cupar: Looking south through Cupar station in May 2005.
Cupar: View north over the station and west side car park at Cupar on 22 May 2005. Note the signal box in the left background.
Larkhall Central: Track enters Larkhall Station.
Larkhall Central: Track enters Larkhall Station from the north.
Perth: 6 car turbostar leaving Perth bound for Edinburgh.
St Leonards Bridge Junction: The 1140 Edinburgh - Inverness passes the Perth signal centre (on right) and under St.Leonards Bridge
Perth: HRT/FM railtours to the Far North & Kyle have a lenghty break at Perth on the journey north. 2x50s.
Manchester Piccadilly: View north over the platforms at Piccadilly on 22 May. A 185 is pulling into platform 14 with a Manchester Airport - Windermere service as trains for Sheffield and Euston await departure.
Paisley Gilmour Street: 334003 crossing Wallneuk Junction at Paisley Gilmour Street with a service for Gourock
Paisley Gilmour Street: 66416 with the daily WH Malcolm freight service from Elderslie to Grangemouth about to pass through Paisley Gilmour Street
Paisley Gilmour Street: 66416 passing through Paisley Gilmour Street with the WH Malcolm freight service to Grangemouth
Paisley Gilmour Street: 334014 sitting at Platform 3 at the head of a two unit set
Paisley Gilmour Street: 66090 at the head of an empty coal train about to pass through Paisley Gilmour Street
Paisley Gilmour Street: 334011 crosses Wallneuk Junction at the rear of a two unit set as it heads for Glasgow Central
Manchester Piccadilly: A class 150 service leaves Manchester Piccadilly on 22 May heading for Buxton.
Crawford Viaduct: A northbound Pendolino about to cross Crawford Viaduct on 22 May 2007.
Crawford: Glasgow - Euston Pendolino runs past a PW squad alongside the M74 near Crawford on 22 May 2007.
Cumbernauld: The starting signal, with route indicator for the siding, on the northbound platform at Cumbernauld on 22 May. A magpie looks at the camera.. or maybe at the incoming terminating train.
Kelvinside: Platform remains at the former Kelvinside station on 22 May looking north along the route as it was about to pass below the station building and through the tunnel under Great Western Road. After emerging the line veered east before crossing a viaduct over the River Kelvin to reach Maryhill Central.
Cork, Clyde Cutting: This is 'Clyde Cutting' (after the Clyde Shipping company stores here) on the grandly-named Cork City Railways which was in effect mainly a link from Glanmire Road (GS&WR) to Albert Quay (Cork Bandon and South Coast Railway) across the River Lee, which was crossed by two Scherzer Rolling Lift bridges built by William Arrol of Glasgow see image []. It was really a street tramway. Photographed in May 2008.
Kelvinside: Front of the former Kelvinside station facing Great Western Road on 22 May 2008.
Glasgow Central: 31602 with a Network Rail test coach and 31601 at the rear, standing at Platform 6 of Glasgow Central station on 22nd May
Cobh: A general view over Cobh station during a drivers strike on 22 May 2008.
Moffat: The north end of Moffat station (closed 1954) on 22 May 2008, looking across part of what is now a supermarket car park. A surviving section of the platform stands centre right. The building is the former toilet block which stood on the platform separate from the main station building, originally at the south end of the station. [With thanks to Duncan Brown for additional lavatorial data]
Cork: Scene at Cork on 22 May 2008 with a train for Dublin Heuston alongside a DMU for Tralee. Unfortunately neither train went anywhere on this occasion due to an industrial dispute involving drivers.
Cumbernauld: Scotrail 158716 gleams in the sunshine awaiting to depart for Glasgow Queen Street.
Cumbernauld: The hourly Motherwell shuttle service has arrived at Cumbernauld formed by SPT set 156435
Cork: Engine Number 36 stuffed and mounted on the concourse at Cork station in May 2008. The locomotive was built in 1847 by Bury, Curtiss and Kennedy in Liverpool and used by the Great Southern and Western Railway on Dublin - Cork services.
Glasgow Central: 31601 at the buffer stops of Platform 6 at Glasgow Central station on 22nd May 2008.
Cobh: The much-diminished Cobh terminus on the south coast of County Cork on 22 May 2008, with the main building now refurbished as a Heritage Centre.
Cork: One of the Scherzer rolling lift bridges over a channel of the River Lee in Cork see image []. This was 'fixed' in the 1980s after the rail traffic ceased and the overhead control cabin, counterweight and mechanism were removed.
Amisfield: Road approach to the former station at Amisfield on the Dumfries - Lockerbie line in 2008. The platform ran along the rear of the building at first floor level. Opened in 1863, the station lost its passenger service in 1952, with the line closing completely in 1966. To say the route was lightly used would be an exaggeration see image []. Few signs of the old railway survive along this rural backwater, although just off picture to the right stand two bridge abutments that once carried the single line across an unclassified road to reach the platform.
See query 2087
Cobh: Platform scene at Cobh terminus in May 2008, showing the same view as Bill Roberton's photograph 20 years earlier see image []. The railings have replaced the brick wall so the area feels more light and open. Unfortunately no trains were running on this occasion as drivers were on strike. 'Irish Railways Then and Now' shows the station was double this size, with another platform on the seaward (left) side and two loop lines running between.
Kelvinside: Close-up showing platform remains below the former Kelvinside station building on 22 May 2008. The platform for trains to Maryhill Central was on the left and to Crow Road on the right.
Clachnaharry: Looking northwest at Clachnaharry on 22 May, with the swing bridge open to allow a yacht to pass through. The Beauly Firth is visible beyond, while the Canal sea lock is obscured by the gorse bushes at the end of the bridge.
Loch nan Uamh Viaduct: 45231 crosses Loch Nan Uamh Viaduct with The Jacobite on 22 May. Due to a problem with the brakes it stalled on Beasdale bank and soon crossed the viaduct again in reverse before crossing a third time following the restart. Busy line to the casual bystander.
Bo^ness: The remaining cab section of 50037 Illustrious in the yard at Boness on 22 May. The locomotive, which entered service with BR in September 1968 (originally D437), was given its name in June 1978. She enjoyed her last couple of years in the South West of England See image [] before being cut up at MC Metals, Glasgow, in 1991. The cab may form a future museum exhibit.
Macedon: N 453 City of Albury bashes non stop towards Melbourne with a train from Eaglehawk through the country station of Macedon, Vic., on the broad gauge (5'3'). Reversible working applies on this line.
Bendigo: The 1130 to Melbourne departs from Bendigo, Victoria, on 22 May 2009 formed by a VLocity DMU.
Hairmyres: Glasgow Central - East Kilbride service approaching Hairmyres on 22 May 2009.
Williamwood: A Glasgow Central - Neilston service photographed at Williamwood on 22 May 2009. Unit 314207.
Gregson Lane: Colas Rail Class 56 no 56312 (carrying insurance in the shape of 66148) approaching Gregson Lane as it heads towards Blackburn with the 1Z66 Bristol to Carlisle 'Pathfinder' special on 22 May 2010.
Oubeck Loops: 'James the Engine' aka DRS no 66414, in 'Stobart Rail' livery, hauls a southbound container train through the Oubeck loops south of Lancaster on 22 May 2010.
Causewayhead: Overlooked by Stirling castle, Freightliner locomotive 66 555 motors past some very relaxed looking sheep near Cambuskenneth in May 2010. The load is coal destined for Longannet power station.
Leyman: Route 10 of the Basel tram network is unusual in that one of the stops on the route, Leymen, is actually in France. Having just crossed the border from Switzerland into France, a tram heading towards Basel enters the French stop on 22nd May 2010. Shortly afterwards it will cross the border for a second time, this time back into Switzerland from France!
Euxton Balshaw Lane: Stanier Pacific no 6233 Duchess of Sutherland sporting the Royal Scot headboard climbs from Balshaw Lane Junction on the Down Fast line on the 1Z33 Milton Keynes to Carlisle special on 22 May 2010 near to Euxton Balshaw Lane station.
Oubeck Loops: A mixed pair of locos and a mixed liveries set of Mark 1 carriages head south at Oubeck on 22 May 2010 whilst working the return leg of a Pathfinder railtour. The leading loco was 56312, which at the time was wearing the purple Artemis livery. The EWS loco behind was 66148 See image [].
Colfin: When Portpatrick station closed to passengers and goods in 1950 the branch was cut back to the intermediate station of Colfin where goods services continued for a further nine years, possibly serving the old creamery seen here because there is nothing else in the area See image []. Despite the length of time since closure the old platform is still visible but little else.
Portpatrick Harbour: Although the short lived 1:35 branch from Portpatrick station to the Harbour was closed as early as 1868, a section of embankment and two bridge abutments still survive on Main St as seen here. This view is looking up the hill towards the site of the station where this road and the branch met again.
Forres East Junction: 'The Cathedrals Explorer' draws to a halt at Forres east on 22 May 2012 behind A1 Pacific no 60163 'Tornado' and awaits the arrival of the 10.14 Aberdeen - Inverness service.
Blackford: The 4A13 Grangemouth to Aberdeen intermodal service heads north towards Blackford in May 2012.
Salwick: A Northern service from Blackpool South to Colne rushes through Salwick towards Preston on 22 May 2012. Today there are only 2 tracks here but at one time there were two more on the right running between Preston and Kirkham.
Salwick: A York to Blackpool service, formed by 158909, approaches Salwick station on 22 May 2012. On the left is Salwick No 2 SB which is scheduled for closure with the electrification of the line from Preston to Blackpool North. On the right the loop remains, along with the ground frame and point leading to the former sidings in the Westinghouse, Springfields industrial complex.
Whitland: 150217 runs into Whitland from Gloucester on 22 May 2012. From here it will leave as the 18.13 service to Fishguard Harbour
Newport: Arriva Trains Wales liveried 67003+DVT run east through Newport on 22 May 2012.
Fishguard and Goodwick: Looking south over Fishguard and Goodwick Station on 22 May 2012, a week after reopening following closure in 1964. A fair number of passengers had alighted from the recent 18.46 arrival formed of 150217, which had then continued on to the harbour station to complete the service from Gloucester. A shuttle to Clarbeston Road and return then ensued, before ending the day at Carmarthen.
Bynea: Looking north from Cwmfelin Road overbridge at Bynea in May 2012. Bynea is the first station along the Central Wales line after leaving Llanelli.
Whitland: Whitland Station yard and sidings on the down side of the station in May 2012, now in use by Network Rail as a track maintenance depot.
Forres East Junction: A1 60163 Tornado about to leave Forres East for Aberdeen with the Cathedrals Explorer on 22 May 2012.
Clarbeston Road: Clarbeston Road seen looking east on an extremely sunny evening in May 2012.
Newport: Arriva Trains Wales liveried 67003 heads a matching liveried DVT east through platform 4 at Newport on 22 May 2012.
Inverness: Tornado at Inverness on The Cathedral Explorer in May 2012.
Collingham: Collingham station, on the Lincoln to Newark line, lies on the outskirts of the Nottinghamshire village. The station enjoys a good service of trains and is additionally busy with freight and semi-fast passenger services also passing through. The station building is now a private residence, seen here in this view across the level crossing towards Newark.
Clarbeston Road: Platform view east at Clarbeston Road as 150217 runs back thro' the platform ECS, having previously drawn forward to the ground signal beyond the cross-over following arrival from Fishguard Harbour at 19.21. The unit will run back beyond the junction with the Milford Haven line to await its 20.05 return working back to the Harbour station. The unit had previously worked the 11.18 Cardiff Central to Maesteg, then ran to Cheltenham Spa before the 4hour 18minute journey to Fishguard Harbour. After working the 20.05 return shuttle as above it will finish the day on the 20.50 Fishguard Harbour - Carmarthen.
Swinderby: The signalman at Swinderby station manually opens the level crossing gates after an oil train from Immingham has passed through. The busy road is narrow at this point but the distance between the two gates is substantial leading to an unusual arrangement when the crossing is open to road traffic. See image []
Forres East Junction: The 10.14 Aberdeen - Inverness service arrives at Forres on 22 May 2012 to much waving and cheering. See image []
Swinderby: An evening view of Swinderby in Lincolnshire, looking towards Newark. The oil tank train I had just missed is disappearing southwards but the starter signal is still 'off'.
Forres East Junction: 'The Cathedrals Explorer' gets the road out of the loop at Forres east on 22 May 2012 behind A1 Pacific no 60163 'Tornado'. Passengers on the recently arrived 10.14 Aberdeen - Inverness service, currently standing alongside the signal box, will have realised by now that the welcoming committee wasn't for them after all... see image []
Salwick: Many trains pass Salwick but few actually stop. Here a Northern Class 158 is seen on a Blackpool - York service as a First Trans Pennine unit appears on the left on its way from Manchester Airport to Blackpool.
Eskbank and Dalkeith: The former Eskbank station site on 22 May 2013, with the old footbridge and most of the platform structures now demolished and removed see image []. View north from the A6094, with the station building behind the trees at the top of the ramp and the bus in the background heading east along the A768.
Birkett Tunnel: The sun came out on 22 May! At least it did just to the south of Birkett tunnel, in time to catch Stanier Coronation Pacific 46233 Duchess of Sutherland on the return Carlisle - Euston Cumbrian Mountain Express. See image []
Shrewsbury: DB Schenker refurbished 60054 gets the right away south at Shrewsbury on 22 May with the normally class 66 powered ex-Dee Marsh steel working.
Hardengreen Junction: The view south from the A6094 road bridge towards the site of Hardengreen Junction on 22 May see image []. Just behind the pedestrian walking across the trackbed in the background the route is fenced off, with the works beyond associated with the construction of the new Eskbank station and car park, following some major excavation work on the filled in cutting.
Newtongrange: Detail showing part of the former offices of the Dean Oil Works (the old rail served yard of which is now occupied by Newtongrange station) seen here from what was once the street level staff entrance from the A7 Murderdean Road. The old building has since been refurbished, refitted and reopened as a community hub, incorporating a cafe, known as 'The Sidings'. Photographed in May 2013, prior to construction of a stairway to the right which now provides pedestrian access to the new station.
Newtongrange: The Newtongrange station site on 22 May 2013, with the entrance from the A7 now gated and secured. Some clearance and demolition Work has been carried out, although several buildings dating from the Deans Oil Works era (and subsequently used for other purposes) still stand.
Birkett Tunnel: 46233 Duchess of Sutherland on the return Carlisle - Euston Cumbrian Mountain Express south of Birkett Tunnel on 22 May 2013. See image [] .
Carlisle: DRS 66302+66426 head 4S43 a very long 'Tesco Express' into and through Carlisle heading for Mossend
Pleasington: Trying to regain some lost time, 46233 Duchess of Sutherland makes an impressive sight as the Cumbrian Mountain Express approaches Pleasington station on the western outskirts of Blackburn on 22 May 2013. This leg of the tour was from Carlisle to Farington Junction via the S&C where steam would hand over to electric power see image [].
Glenesk: View north from the B6392 road bridge towards Glenesk Junction in May 2013, with the site of Glenesk Colliery and sidings on the left. Near the green barrier stood Glenesk station, which first appeared in timetables in 1855 (although its opening date is shown by both Butt and Cobb as 1858). The station (occasionally shown as Glenesk Junction) seems to have officially closed in 1874, though it continued in use (unadvertised) into the 1880s.
Gorebridge: Entrance to what will become the new station car park at Gorebridge. View north on 22 May 2013, with the bridge carrying Station Road in the background. The area was recently occupied by the ill-fated Harvieston Villas see image [].
Newtongrange [1st]: Platforms at Newtongrange. The platform edges of the 1908 station uncovered at Newtongrange on 22 May 2013. View north from the A7 road bridge, with work on the new station in progress behind the camera.
Gorebridge: View north from Lady Brae towards Gorebridge station on 22 May 2013. The bridge carrying Station Road over the trackbed is in the centre background beyond the station building.
Maldon: A class 08 Jim, but not as we know it! On the Victorian Goldfield Railway, 5'3' gauge, there is preserved in working order this 1953-built product of Newton-le-Willows Vulcan Foundry, new to Victorian Railways.
Gorebridge: The secured station building at Gorebridge on 22 May 2013 - still looking remarkably well considering...!
Castlemaine [Victoria]: Victorian Goldfields Railway K class 2-8-0 No. K190 running round at Castlemaine on 22 May 2013.
Armathwaite: 46233 Duchess of Sutherland speeds through Armathwaite on 1Z89 the returning Cumbrian Mountain Express
Maldon: Interior of first-class 'Parlor' (sic) Car Tambo, named after the Tambo River, Victoria. Originally a sleeping car on the Adelaide to Melbourne service. Very civilized.
Carlisle: Freightliner 70005 awaits the road to Crewe Basford Hall after working in on an engineer's train from Crewe
Newtongrange [1st]: Looking south towards Gorebridge on 22 May 2013 over the recently uncovered platforms of the former Newtongrange station (1908-1969). Station Road is on the left and the surviving headgear of the Lady Victoria pit can just be seen above the trees. The new Borders Railway station is being built on the other side of the bridge carrying the A7 in the background.
Castlemaine [Victoria]: On 22 May 2013 the 10.15 Melbourne Southern Cross - Bendigo VLocity dmu runs into Castlemaine, while the VGR's K190 2-8-0 runs round its train to form the 11.45 to Maldon.
Poulton-le-Fylde: Originating in Kilmarnock the Fylde Coast Express was steam hauled over the S&C and on to Blackpool on 22 May 2013 by Black 5 44932. It is seen here on the approach to Poulton-le-Fylde, just a few minutes away from its destination. Relatively few steam excursions use the Blackpool line and the return leg of this charter retraced the route but was diesel hauled throughout.
Lambley Viaduct: Viewed over the gardens of the cottages near Lambley station, the viaduct looks more like a garden railway structure than its larger-than-life true form see image [].
Halton Lea Gate: Nirvana for the dedicated industrial archaeologist. View looks towards Lambley; the brick buildings are the surface remains of a small coal mine. see image [[47630 for a view half a mile behind this image]]
Tindale: Now that's what I call an abutment. This would be on a branch off the main line from Brampton to Lambley; view looks North East. There's enough stone for a nice house up there.
Kirkhaugh: Looking South towards Kirkhaugh on the South Tynedale Railway, through the cab of the diesel locomotive on 22 May 2014 see image [].
Alston: The varnishing railway. A view North from the South Tynedale Railway signal box on a quiet May afternoon [at the kind invitation of the signalman].
Knarsdale: This picturesque viaduct, photographed on 22 May 2014, is situated north of Slaggyford on what is now the South Tynedale Railway. There is some rather nice skew stonework under those arches.
Halton Lea Gate: View East, towards Lambley, on the 1852 extension see image [] which came 12 years too late to see operational use of Stephensons Rocket! A very oblique crossing of the A689, and some very damp weather. Appearances are deceptive - the foot/cycle path runs out less than half a mile ahead of this viewpoint.
Hamworthy: The Hamworthy Goods branch to Poole Harbour has been unused for a number of years but everything remains in situ hoping for new sources of freight traffic. This is Hamworthy Park crossing, the upper view looking back towards the main line at Hamworthy station and the lower image towards Poole Harbour.
Coanwood: The much modified and extended former station master's house at Coanwood on the Alston branch in May 2014. The remains of the old station, now part of a walkway, is just off picture to the left see image []. [Ref query 5450]
Lambley: Laid out like a scenic path, at least as much as a railway - looking towards Alston on 22 May 2014 from a point just South of Lambley station.
Lambley Viaduct: Looking North up the South Tyne from the former Alston branch viaduct, which closed to all traffic in 1976; but was restored and reopened as a footpath in 1996. Cycle access is possible, but not recommended as a through route; as the footpath diverts down steps at the South end of the viaduct.
Lambley Viaduct: Long, tall, and narrow: looking East along the deck of Lambley Viaduct see image [] on a blustery day. Notice the plaque on the left marking the structure as a Transport Heritage Site.
Alston: Any electrical engineers out there will recognize this as the 'earth line'. Civil engineers wagons outside the carriage shed at Alston on 22 May 2014.
Coanwood: Looking North towards Haltwhistle from the car park for visitors to Lambley viaduct. The car park is built on and adjacent to the branch trackbed.
Cambuslang: A class 380 on an Ayr - Edinburgh service passes under the last remaining section of the Old Mill Road bridge across the West Coast Main Line at Cambuslang on 22nd May 2015. To the left, the first section of the replacement bridge is now in place across the Cathcart line see image [].
Wyre Viaduct: DRS 37606 and 20308, and three flask wagons, cross the River Wyre at Scorton heading for Sellafield on 22nd May 2015. The innocuous looking Wyre would later cause severe problems when it flooded and breached further down stream in December 2015.
Dalston: Close-up of DRS 37423 Spirit of the Lakes at Dalston on 22 May with one of the new loco hauled services which commenced operations 4 days earlier. These are operated by DRS, on behalf of Northern Rail to increase seating capacity at peak times. Living just 100 yards from the line our cups and saucers do a bit of a dance when these services pass by.
Glacier National Park: Observation car of 'The Empire Builder', eastbound in the area of Glacier National Park, Montana, on the morning of 22 May 2015.
Gorebridge: ScotRail 158730 leads the 4-car Sunday morning 0945 ex-Tweedbank away from Gorebridge on 22 May 2016. View north from Station Road as the train heads towards the Gore Glen bridge and its next stop at Newtongrange.
Eskbank and Dalkeith: A fine May morning in 2016 sees 158727 run through the abandoned platforms of the original Eskbank station with a northbound train on the Borders Railway.
Gorebridge: 'Any more for Edinburgh... last call now...' Almost ready to leave Gorebridge on 22 May 2016. ScotRail 158730 heads the 4-car 0945 ex-Tweedbank.
Glenesk: The 0911 Edinburgh - Tweedbank passing the site of Glenesk Colliery in bright morning sunshine on 22 May 2016. The train has recently crossed Glenesk Viaduct, the deck of which can be seen in the background. See image []
Blunsdon: D2152 had its cab cut down to pass under the odd low bridge on the G&BPR line see image [].
This locomotive is seen here running around its train in 2016 at Blunsdon. It has been brought into use to replace the Thumper Unit which has been badly damaged in a fire.
Blunsdon: This is the Thumper Unit which was been badly damaged in a fire at Blunsdon. The non-power car has been destroyed but the power unit is repairable. See image [] for a view of the unit in happier times.
Blunsdon: Three box vans full of coach spares and S&T spares were also destroyed by the fire at Blunsdon [see news item]. Most of the contents are beyond repair and irreplaceable as they are ex-GWR/BR items collected during resignalling projects over the last 25 years.
Glasgow Queen Street High Level: A view over the barriers at Queen Street.
Newton Stewart: The former locomotive shed at Newton Stewart, closed on the last day of 1959. The building is in a better condition than it was 10 years ago, having since been taken over by a vehicle servicing and repair company and equipped with a new roof see image []. View north east towards the station site in May 2017 along the trackbed of the Whithorn branch.
Ribble Steam Railway Workshops: Grant Ritchie 272 of 1894, an 0-4-0ST once resident in the Fife coalfield, now restored from scrapyard condition to full working order by Ribble Steam Railway volunteers See image []. Behind this rare survivor is USA 0-6-0T 30072, for many years a member of the KWVR fleet at Haworth but now being refurbished by the RSR.
Anderston: Situated underneath Scotland's busiest stretch of road, and with roads on three sides on the level Anderson station is some place; the antithesis of Corrour perhaps? It was called Anderston Cross when it closed in 1964, but the area was then flattened (solely to make way for the M8?) and found itself in unrecoginisable surroundings when it reopened as Anderston in 1979. It sees little use during the day but gets a bit livelier when office workers use it at peak times.
Preston (Ribble Branch): Ribble Steam Sentinel 4wDM Progress has finished operations for the day and heads for the running shed in the Ribble Rail yard at Preston Docks. Access to this operational area by kind permission on 22nd May 2017.
Dumbarton Central: The westbound island platform building seen from an eastbound train at Dumbarton Central.
Bromsgrove: Bromsgrove station, 22nd May 2017. It looks like massive redevelopment has just taken place. [The station has been relocated further south -Ed].
Croxley: The attractive station entrance at Croxley on the LUL's short Metropolitan Line branch to Watford, seen here on 22nd May 2017. This line was a latecomer to the outer London suburban rail network, not opening until 2nd November 1925 as a joint venture between the Metropolitan and London & North Eastern Railways and Croxley station was originally called Croxley Green. But to avoid confusion with the LNWR Croxley Green station, it was renamed Croxley on 23rd May 1949. The branch runs from a triangular junction between Moor Park and Rickmansworth with originally Metropolitan trains taking the south curve toward Moor Park and on into London (as they still do) while a shuttle service of LNER trains operated between Watford and Rickmansworth over the north curve but these ceased in 1934 after only nine years, since when the north curve has only been used by empty stock workings and the occasional steam specials that LUL have run in recent years, apart from a few ex-Chesham publicly accessible trains at the beginning and end of the day. (I am indebted to Bob McIntyre for this last piece of information.) The scheme to link this line to the by then disused Croxley Green branch, relay this as far as Watford High Street and run Metropolitan Line trains into Watford Junction, which would have seen the 1925 Metropolitan terminus closed, was talked about for decades and was eventually given the go-ahead, only for this to be cancelled a year or so later.
See query 2195
Ribble Steam Railway Workshops: Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST No. 1833 of 1924, delivered as Niddrie No.6 but latterly NCB Lothians Area No.20. Seen undergoing major works, including a virtually new boiler with repaired firebox, in the Ribble Steam Railway workshops on 22nd May 2017. (With thanks to Dave Watkins for the guided tour.)
Glasgow Queen Street High Level: The works at the east side of Queen Street. This area was initially the Hanover Street Goods yard, later accommodating platforms 8 and 9, on the left just outside the main trainshed, and a smaller goods yard to the right. Since the 1970s this location has provided carparking and a taxi rank.
Yoker Depot: The trainwasher at Yoker Depot. To the right is the announcement of the new Yoker Signalling Centre and Yoker Depot - now a remarkable 30 years old. Whatever that sign is made of, it's pretty durable.
Preston (Ribble Branch): Ribble Steam Railway Sentinel 4wDM Progress shunts bitumen tanks from Lindsey Refinery alongside the museum platform. This loco was new to the Preston Dock system in 1968, one of three Sentinels that replaced the final surviving members of their steam fleet, and has worked here ever since. (With thanks to Dave Watkins for the guided tour.)
Dalmuir: A view of the brutalist architecture at Dalmuir. The flats are a product of their time, but really, the footbridge and platform structures could be more attractive at what is an important interchange.
Glasgow Queen Street High Level: The Dundas Street entry to Queen Street station. The original station entrance, for passengers, was from this side thus the original name of the Dundas Street station. It is unlikely that name was used much, no doubt it was the Glasgow terminus of the E&G in most people's minds. The entry to the Glasgow Subway is to the left. This was aggrandised as the Glasgow Underground from 1936 to 2003.
Partick: Partick station's new building and platform recycling centre.
Cowdenbeath Tram Depot: Cowdenbeath Broad Street Tram Depot, seen from the main road, now in use as a bus depot by Rennies. The kerbs on the entrance road are formed by tram rails.
Galgate: 66199 hauls a lightly loaded Seaforth to Mossend container service, seen approaching the Hampson Lane bridge near Galgate on 22nd May 2018. Hampson Lane is adjacent to Jcn 33 of the M6.
Leeming Bar: Rather weather worn former Eden Valley Railway, Warcop based 37250 is seen in the yard at Wensleydale Railway's Leeming Bar station in May 2018. Since then the loco has been thro' the works, using the new donated structure providing under-cover facilities. It has been extensively refurbished and then repainted in Civil Engineers livery.
Cowdenbeath Tram Depot: Inspection pit at the rear of the Cowdenbeath Tram Depot, the width of which seems to equate with the 3'6' gauge of the tramway. Access by kind permission of Rennies.
Dalgety Bay: The Network rail measurement train passes through Dalgety Bay on 22 May on its way from Edinburgh to Aberdeen.
Dalmeny: Unbranded 43126 on (seemingly endless) driver training duties comes off the bridge and through Dalmeny station on 22 May. It's heading for Platform 0 at Haymarket and a brief turnaround. Fans of Xanthoria Parietina will already have noticed its fondness for the cowls of ScotRail's platform lighting.
Dalmeny: A Fife local comes off the bridge and into Dalmeny - to pick up me. Electrification of Fife services is a long-term aim. I don't know about you but I find the prospect of live wires across the Forth Bridge alarming - in more ways than one.
Galgate: Immaculate 86259 Les Ross runs light from Carnforth to Preston under Hampson Lane bridge on 22nd May 2018, prior to taking over the Cathedrals Express for the run back to London. On 19th May it had taken this train north to York and handed over to Flying Scotsman before being hauled to Carnforth for stabling ahead of this further duty.
Inverkeithing East Junction: GBRf 66746 eases the 'Royal Scotsman' round the central/east chord of the triangular junction at Inverkeithing on its way from Edinburgh to Boat of Garten on 22 May 2019. In the foreground is the site of Inverkeithing East Junction signalbox.
Holm Junction: An Ardrossan Harbour to Glasgow service comes of its short branch (or sub-branch) at Holm Junction on 22 May 2019. The rusty rails nearest to it are a siding, and those on the right are the Up only Hunterston line. It would be nice if they could now use this track to double the passenger branch.The remains of the coal loading tower at Hunterston were being cut up as I passed earlier.
Largs: A Largs to Glasgow service is about to set off on 22 May 2019. I don't know what those people were doing on Platform 1 as the next train wasn't due there until the following morning. Mind you, I suppose the same could be said about me.
Largs: A service from Glasgow approaches the buffers at Largs on 22 May 2019. Turnaround time is fairly short, so most passengers for the return journey are already on the platform.
Largs: A Glasgow service waits to depart Largs on 22 May 2019. The other Platform (1) is only needed once a day, Monday to Friday - the only time there are two trains in the station.
Events from the chronology which occured on this day. This generally lists events before 1995, the creation of the website.
|1829||Newcastle and Carlisle Railway||Company formed. Surveyed by George Stephenson. Lord Carlisle supports the project if it will pass Milton and connect with his Earl of Carlisles Waggonway.|
|1848||Scottish Central Railway||Opened from Stirling to Perth. Stations at: 1st_>Bridge of Allan 1st , Dunblane, Kinbuck, Greenloaning, Auchterarder, Dunning, Forteviot, Forgandenny, Perth General.|
|1890||Cardiff, Penarth and Barry Junction Railway (Taff Vale Railway)||Service extended to Biglis Junction on the Barry Dock and Railways and temporary Biglis station closed.|
|1915||Caledonian Railway||Quintinshill disaster, Britains worst train crash. 227 people killed when a troop train crashes into a local passenger train and an express trains collides with the wreckage.|
|1966||Newport Railway||Newport-on-Tay East to Tayport closed, replacement bus starts.|
|1966||Edinburgh and Northern Railway||Tayport, now a terminus from Wormit, closed.|
|1981||Aberystwyth and Welch Coast Railway||Barmouth Viaduct re-opened to DMUs.|
|1983||Isle of Mull Railway||First steam locomotive operates on line.|
These are old news items which which occured on this day. This generally lists events after 1995, the creation of the website.
|2004||Tilting train bears city^s name with pride [Scotsman]||THE first tilting train to run in Scotland was unveiled yesterday. The £11 million City of Glasgow Pendolino tilting train will operate between Scotland^s biggest city and London, carrying passengers on the West Coast Main Line at speeds of up to 125mph.|
|2004||Smoke-free train service begins [BBC News]||South West Trains enforces a no-smoking policy on all its trains from this weekend after pressure from passengers.|
|2005||Track reaches Larkhall||Track has reached the north end of Larkhall station.|
|2006||The road^s just too tram steep [Scotsman]||TRANSPORT chiefs are being forced to design a way for trams to run between two city centre streets without scraping the road.|
|2007||Accessibility information service [Railway Strategies]||London Underground has launched its new detailed interactive service to allow passengers to understand the access available at every station across the network, particularly the routes between street and platforms.|
|2007||National Rail Trends [Railway Strategies]||The ORRâ€™s Q3 2006-2007 (October 06-December 06) National Rail Trends report shows:|
|2008||Companies admit safety breaches [BBC News Article]||Two railway maintenance companies admit breaches of health and safety regulations after a worker was crushed.|
|2009||High speed rail - ministerial speech [DfT]||Our highways are clogged with traffic. Our airports are choked with increased loads. We are at the mercy of fluctuating oil prices. We pump too many greenhouse gases into the air.|
|2011||When we sold off the railways, we created today^s shambles [Guardian]||Our trains are a scandal and only wholesale restructuring can save passengers from further misery.|
|2011||More frequent services on London^s ^forgotten railway^ [BBC News]||Trains on London Overground routes in north and west London are to run more frequently. Services on the North London Line and West London Line will operate up to eight trains per hour.|
|2012||Borders railway: Galashiels flats cleared from route [BBC News]||A block of flats in Galashiels has been torn down in order to make way for the reopening of the Borders to Edinburgh railway. The properties at Beechbank Place had been earmarked for demolition for some time.|
|2013||Troubled FirstGroup announces rights issue as chairman Martin Gilbert steps down [Telegraph]||Almost £330m was wiped off the value of FirstGroup as shareholders vented their fury at a deeply discounted £615m rights issue, launched to avoid a damaging downgrade in the company’s credit rating to “junk” status.|
|2014||Talyllyn Railway turns to Ffestiniog Railway for train repair [BBC News]||A narrow-gauge steam railway in Gwynedd has turned to another small railway for help after its flagship steam locomotive broke down, just months before its 150th anniversary. Tywyn^s Talyllyn Railway asked Ffestiniog Railway^s Boston Lodge Works, just a few miles away near Porthmadog, to repair Locomotive No.1 Talyllyn.|
|2014||£1.3m railway station to be unveiled in Porthmadog [ITV News]||A new £1.3 million train station, servicing both the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways, will be unveiled by Transport Minister Edwina Hart later today. The new station was build by volunteers and local contractors over three winters. Lord Dafydd Elis-Thomas AM is also expected to attend the opening ceremony, travelling on the Welsh Highland Railway to Porthmadog. Local schoolchildren from Ysgol Cefn Coch in Penrhyndeudraeth and Ysgol Eifion Wyn Porthmadog will also attend the ceremony.|
|2015||Great Central Railway train ran unmanned for more than a mile [BBC News]||An unmanned train ran for more than a mile before crashing into coaches on a heritage railway in Leicestershire, rail accident investigators have said. The report said no one was injured but damage was sustained by the vehicles during the collision on the Great Central Railway, in Quorn, in May 2014. The engine^s handbrakes were not applied and the coach was not secured with brakes, the investigation found. The Great Central Railway (GCR) said it had since reinforced its procedures.|
|2015||Quintinshill rail disaster remembered 100 years on [BBC News]||A memorial service has been held at Gretna Green for the victims of Britain^s worst rail disaster. More than 200 people died when three trains crashed at Quintinshill in Dumfries and Galloway on 22 May 1915. One of the trains was a World War One troop transport carrying hundreds of Scottish soldiers who were bound for Gallipoli.|
|2015||Historic royal railway station destroyed in fire will be rebuilt [STV News]||Aberdeenshire Council will rebuild a historic royal railway station destroyed in a fire. The emergency services were called to the Old Royal Station in Ballater in the early hours of May 12. The blaze destroyed three quarters of the building, which included shops, a museum and a restaurant. An investigation into the cause of the fire is under way. [From Drew McLelland]|
|2016||Switzerland^s Gotthard Train Tunnel Will Be World^s Longest, Deepest [NBC News]||The world gets a little smaller next month with the unveiling of the longest and deepest railway tunnel ever constructed â€” a feat of engineering under the Alps that will slash journey times across Europe. The Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT) in Switzerland is the product of 17 years of work, including cutting through solid rock at depths of up to 7,500 feet. It cost $12 billion â€” as well as the lives of eight workers.|
|2017||Heathrow-Crossrail row heads to High Court [BBC News]||A High Court judge is to rule on whether Crossrail trains should be charged for each time they travel to Heathrow Airport. The airport spent £1bn building the five-mile line 20 years ago to connect the hub to the Great Western track. The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) previously decided Heathrow could not charge trains for using the line, which it said would cost about £42m a year. The airport said it wanted to ^ensure track access charges were fair^. Heathrow has taken the decision to the High Court for a judicial review and a ruling is expected ^imminently^, an airport spokesperson said.|
|2018||Rail Wales franchise decision imminent [BBC News]||The new Wales rail franchise holder will be held to account on issues like punctuality, cleanliness and service quality - or they will not get paid. The head of Transport for Wales (TfW) said the contract includes key elements of service provision not included before. The winner - also new South Wales Metro operator - is expected to be unveiled in the next 24 hours. Welsh Government ministers are discussing final details on Tuesday. The new franchise will come into effect from October 2018, replacing the one run by Arriva Trains Wales for the last 15 years.|
|2018||^We intend to be one of the leading rail freight operators in the UK^ - DRS [RAIL]||DRS aims to be one of the leading freight operators in the UK|
|2018||More than 300,000 passengers use Cambridge North in first year [RAIL]||Approximately 320,000 passengers have used Cambridge North station since it opened on May 21 last year, an average of 6,000 per week. Greater Anglia says more than 10,000 passengers per week are now using the station, with that figure above the operators growth target. A Costa coffee shop is about to open at the station.|
|2019||British Steel enters insolvency endangering 5,000 jobs [BBC News]||British Steel has been placed in compulsory liquidation, putting 5,000 jobs in the UK at risk and endangering 20,000 in the supply chain. British Steel has about 5,000 employees. There are 3,000 at Scunthorpe, with another 800 on Teesside and in north-eastern England.|
|2019||British Steel^s closure would have ^huge^ knock-on effects [The Guardian]||Failure to save British Steel would have a nationwide knock-on effect, experts have warned, hitting suppliers, hurting industries that rely on its products and forcing up costs dramatically for Network Rail. Efforts to find a buyer for the company are under way, overseen by the government^s official receiver and accountancy service EY, in the hope of saving 5,000 direct employees and protecting 20,000 jobs in its supply chain.|